Sadly I lost a beloved chicken today

Dlepage

Songster
Mar 26, 2021
I’m heartbroken over the loss of one of my four chickens. I can’t help but feel responsible. She has always had a poopy bum and I usually wash it and dry it well before putting her back outside, stupidly I didn’t dry her well yesterday after cleaning her bottom and today she was listless and wheezing in the early morning. I brought her inside and warmed her and fed her electrolytes but she died in a few hours
I don’t know what I was thinking, it seemed mild out so I let her out still wet on the bottom without thinking. It got cold that night and I’m certain she got too cold even though I have a heated coop. She has always had a poopy bum but otherwise she was well.
So a very painful lesson learned. The flock will be looking for her tonight and it’s breaking my heart.

Attachments

• 76641934-9695-4734-AE1D-EDBBC86193B4.jpeg
    76641934-9695-4734-AE1D-EDBBC86193B4.jpeg
    588.9 KB · Views: 10
I’m heartbroken over the loss of one of my four chickens. I can’t help but feel responsible. She has always had a poopy bum and I usually wash it and dry it well before putting her back outside, stupidly I didn’t dry her well yesterday after cleaning her bottom and today she was listless and wheezing in the early morning. I brought her inside and warmed her and fed her electrolytes but she died in a few hours
I don’t know what I was thinking, it seemed mild out so I let her out still wet on the bottom without thinking. It got cold that night and I’m certain she got too cold even though I have a heated coop. She has always had a poopy bum but otherwise she was well.
So a very painful lesson learned. The flock will be looking for her tonight and it’s breaking my heart.
im so sorry you lost your gal, these types of situations are painful but all we can do is learn from them.

I'm thinking that maybe it wasn't just the cold that got to her, do you know why she had the poopy butt?

I am so sorry for the loss of your girl. You may or may not have contributed to her demise, but I certainly know how it feels to believe that you are responsible for the death of a beloved bird.

I had a Rhode Island Red whose butt was constantly poopy throughout her life. She never seemed sick, just messy. It really was my fault that she and two of her coop mates weren't locked in one night and were killed by a predator.

Take care of yourself and your other girls. She was, indeed, a beauty.

I am so so sorry for your loss 🫶😞

im so sorry you lost your gal, these types of situations are painful but all we can do is learn from them.

I'm thinking that maybe it wasn't just the cold that got to her, do you know why she had the poopy butt?
From the time she was a chick she had a poopy bum. She was just one year old this month I noticed her eggs were getting thin shells and the last two eggs were broken I can see on the coop cam she laid a broken egg on the coop floor this morning the shell was really thin. I do think some thing more was going on but I also think the cold might and damp feathers didn’t help. I feel just awful about it. This is our first flock of chickens and the first loss so it’s that much more painful. Thanks for listening 🥺

I am so sorry for the loss of your girl. You may or may not have contributed to her demise, but I certainly know how it feels to believe that you are responsible for the death of a beloved bird.

I had a Rhode Island Red whose butt was constantly poopy throughout her life. She never seemed sick, just messy. It really was my fault that she and two of her coop mates weren't locked in one night and were killed by a predator.

Take care of yourself and your other girls. She was, indeed, a beauty.

Back
Top Bottom