Sadly I lost a beloved chicken today

Thank you its helpful to hear other chicken owners get it. I know it’s all part of learning the hard way. The sad part is there are no vets that deal with chickens in our city I know because I called them all Looking for help

Very sorry for your loss. Don’t beat yourself up. It sounds like she had some sort of reproductive disorder. I had a hen who did not go into the coop one evening. Usually I do a head count, but skipped it that night. She could have just spent the whole night underneath a large coop, but it rained, and she got soaked. It turned cold overnight, and she died by the next morning. I also felt really bad, but the cold may have just pushed her over the edge, and had an underlying disorder.

Very sorry for your loss. Don’t beat yourself up. It sounds like she had some sort of reproductive disorder. I had a hen who did not go into the coop one evening. Usually I do a head count, but skipped it that night. She could have just spent the whole night underneath a large coop, but it rained, and she got soaked. It turned cold overnight, and she died by the next morning. I also felt really bad, but the cold may have just pushed her over the edge, and had an underlying disorder.

Thank you I really hope that is the case but I will never make that mistake again I really do love those stupid chickens ugh.
That is a beautiful video you made. The smiles on your whole family's faces were priceless as they held the new baby chicks. And you did a wonderful job of documenting the chicks as they grew. It is obvious your chickens are very loved. And I guarrantee you they know it. (Because chickens are in many ways pretty darn smart after all! 😊) The coop artwork is amazing too.

I'm sorry you lost her so young, and even more sorry you blame yourself for her death. Returning her to her coop with a wet bum wouldn't have killed a healthy hen, especially since you have a heated coop. I too believe she had some type of reproductive problem that caused her demise. Remember her always, but carry on. Any chicken lucky enough to live under your care is a lucky chicken indeed.

Thank you for your kind words
It’s not the same to see just the three of them in the yard this morning but I know there’s not much I can do now but to stay diligent and keep the rest of them healthy and safe. They are very loved and we do really enjoy having chickens in our lives. Not sure I will get another one at this point I think three backyard chickens will be just enough for now but I do miss her.

From the time she was a chick she had a poopy bum. She was just one year old this month I noticed her eggs were getting thin shells and the last two eggs were broken I can see on the coop cam she laid a broken egg on the coop floor this morning the shell was really thin. I do think some thing more was going on but I also think the cold might and damp feathers didn’t help. I feel just awful about it. This is our first flock of chickens and the first loss so it’s that much more painful. Thanks for listening 🥺
it's a possibility she had some sort of internal infection or glitch, maybe in her oviduct. Its ok to feel awful because you lost her but don't let yourself get down, you did all you could for her, and thats enough.

I lost two hens to internal laying before I even knew it was a thing and from time to time I wonder how things would have been if I had known earlier, and could have saved them. it hurts and I'm not going to lie I bawled my eyes out for them but I tell myself that even though I made a mistake I can learn from it and watch out to make sure it doesn't happen again, it's the best we can do right?:).
Its true the first loss is always the hardest, I never knew I could bawl my eyes out for a chicken but I've done it multiple times so we all know how you feel. If you need to vent or share anything just to get it off your chest were here for you❤️

Back
Top Bottom