Safeguard

2 week withdrawal period is the standard recommendation. Eggs should be tossed in the trash, not composted or fed back or to other animals.

Ok, thank you. I'm all new to deworming so try to bear with me lol. I definitely will toss them then, but is the purpose for tossing them because of the worms or the medication? So so sorry if thats a very stupid question, like I said, I'm still new to this, and am trying to learn my best lol.

Ok, thank you. I'm all new to deworming so try to bear with me lol. I definitely will toss them then, but is the purpose for tossing them because of the worms or the medication? So so sorry if thats a very stupid question, like I said, I'm still new to this, and am trying to learn my best lol.

It's ok I'm new to deworming to, just did it for the first time this week. :)

It's because of the medication.

Let's say you were to feed back the eggs to the chickens, so they're getting a reduced dosage of the medicine via the eggs. Any worms that hatch after treatment and are exposed to that low dosage can possibly survive and then build up an immunity to it. So over time, you'd just be breeding worms that are resistant to the Safeguard.

Let's say you were to feed back the eggs to the chickens, so they're getting a reduced dosage of the medicine via the eggs. Any worms that hatch after treatment and are exposed to that low dosage can possibly survive and then build up an immunity to it. So over time, you'd just be breeding worms that are resistant to the Safeguard.

Thank you so much for the info! Also, do you have any experience with Safeguard? Does it work good to kill the worms? I'm using the paste

Thank you so much for the info! Also, do you have any experience with Safeguard? Does it work good to kill the worms? I'm using the paste

I used the 10% suspension for goats. I have to assume it's working as I haven't seen any sign of worms in droppings since I used it. :confused: Safeguard seems to be highly recommended as a treatment though here's hoping it works well for both of us.

Last edited:
I used the 10% suspension for goats. I have to assume it's working as I haven't seen any sign of worms in droppings since I used it. :confused: Safeguard to be highly recommended as a treatment though here's hoping it works well for both of us.

Hoping that both of ours get cured! The ones that have it of mine are only 12 weeks old, they are my babies lol. So praying they get cured fast! I did the medication on Wednesday and still saw worms today. Hoping its just because they are dying and passing through the stool. I treated the rest of my flock also even if they don't go nere them yet, just for precautions

Hadn't thought of that aspect, but Yes!....
....plus the meds are still in the eggs, pushing forward the withdrawal period.

I used the 10% suspension for goats. I have to assume it's working as I haven't seen any sign of worms in droppings since I used it. :confused: Safeguard seems to be highly recommended as a treatment though here's hoping it works well for both of us.
I need to treat mine & am planning on getting the 10% goat suspension. What dosage did you use & how did you give it to them?

I need to treat mine & am planning on getting the 10% goat suspension. What dosage did you use & how did you give it to them?

I used a pea sized amount for my full size and a small pea for my bantams and young ones, then repeated again in 10 days as said online. I'm happy to say it worked great! About 5 days after first dose no more adults could be seen, second dose is to kill remaining eggs. I haven't seen any yet!

I used a pea sized amount for my full size and a small pea for my bantams and young ones, then repeated again in 10 days as said online. I'm happy to say it worked great! About 5 days after first dose no more adults could be seen, second dose is to kill remaining eggs. I haven't seen any yet!
So was this the liquid or the paste that you used?

Back
Top Bottom