Safety of buried eggs?

Waayyyy too much bedding in the nesting boxes! 2-3 inches works just fine. My hens like to "feng shui" new bedding. I like straw much better than shavings, stays dry, lasts longer, and I harvest it myself.

Eggs, I found, are pretty durable, after 6 years of having chickens, i have had only two bad eggs, i do not collect them everyday either. I have a nest box but they currently dont like it, they mostly make a nest somewhere in the “foresty” part of the backyard. I sometimes find nests with up to 24 eggs and temps here are hot all year. I researched a couple years ago after I found a large nest sitting for weeks in 120 degrees (In the shade of course) and read That all the eggs have a bloom on them Which protects them and keep them fresh. Eggs you buy in the store have it already washed off. I cracked all the eggs before I cooked them and found not one of them was bad. Hate to be the contrarian here but looks like lots of you are throwing away good eggs. If you crack them and they look fine and do not smell bad, then they are good.

I have a plastic tray, like an organizer bin or dishpan, in each nest box, with 2” shavings. It’s super easy to check. And if an egg breaks, they’re easy to remove and clean up. The hens seen to like the extra coziness it creates. And while you’re checking bloodwork - make sure they test hormone levels. Low levels can mimic fibromyalgia and depression, and it’s a super easy fix.

Your birds are going to lay more eggs so you will have plenty. Boil the eggs, mash them all up with the shells and feed them back to the chickens. Get rid of the shavings and use hay. Otherwise, make sure you dig through all the shavings to find all the eggs every day. My nest boxes are just shy of 12 inches square and about 8 inches deep. More than enough room for ameracaunas. If your boxes are 18 inches? :eek: Only use around 4 to 5 inches of shavings. If you think that now makes them too deep for the birds to use, clean everything out and fill in the bottoms with pieces of 2X4 cut to fit to raise the level of the bottom.

When I find buried eggs I candle them. If they're developing and I have a broody hen I give them to her. If they don't appear to be developing I float test. If they pass the candle and float test I refrigerate in a box marked NS - or, Not for Sale. When I use those eggs I break them into a clear glass. Anything looks amiss, out it goes.

I was given one by a Chinese friend, they're expensive and considered a luxury. Not as weird to eat as they look, but I have no desire to eat another.

Huh, interesting. Yeah, I don’t think I would eat one either haha although it seems it’s a nice gift.

Back
Top Bottom