salatin pen is both in one

Joel Salatin has become something of a local food celebrity since he was featured in the documentary Food Inc. The chicken tractors he uses are for meat chickens. His layers have large, movable coops and free range during the day.

he does now. he used to use the same pens for his layers, and turkeys. i have extensively studied his model, and written him a few letters so this info is credible. Also he does not recomend the free range house for acreage under 50 acres

Salatin's broiler pens are too small, IMHO. He uses a 10x12 pen for up to 100 birds which is less than 1.5 sq foot per bird. More space = happier birds. That being said, I do like Salatin.

Actually the recomendation is 75 per pen so it works for up to 8 weeks. after 8 weeks it is to small but up to 8 weeks works great

Are chickenchap and 1k18 actually Joel Salatin? Sound like a sales pitch to me and an attempt to forward his "celebrity status".

Joel Salatin has become something of a local food celebrity since he was featured in the documentary Food Inc.

idunno.gif

No, i am not Joel Salatin. Someone said they didn't know who he was. I was merely stating facts. Whatever you think of him, he is something of a celebrity. There are people who do not like his model for various reasons (e.g. small pen size, raising Cornish X's instead of heritage birds). You can find all of this by googling his name.

I have never heard of him, not once and I have had chickens and been on chicken websites and doing chicken topics research on the internet for years, guess his celebrity status doesn't stretch to far.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. He has his in regards to his coops and his celebrity status, I have mine also. All is well.

Funny way to start your visits and posts at BYC but either way, welcome.

Quote:
Not that I agree, because this listing looks like a sales pitch and nothing further. Goto Mother Earth News and search for him, they've done a few artciles over the years, even before Food Inc. His status is circles is mainly the 'super sustainable farmer'. He does everything on his 400 acres in Virginia to turn his land around to being self sustaining. He boasts about letting his chickens be chickens, his cows be cows and his pigs be pigs. Mainly they are all free roaming. He also does not keep his broilers and layers in the same type of moveable coops/runs.

He also slaughters his own chickens outdoors, and has been fighting with the FDA who's trying to make him move his slaughter into indoor facilities he doesn't believe in.

Its not that he does EVERYTHING right or what not, its just had has a 'sustainable' take on it. ...he was also in movie "Food Inc", and the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma".

I would search out the articles on him by MotherEarthNews.com if you want to see a ton of pictures too.

Back
Top Bottom