Sally's GF3 thread

We can't get around pulling in outside air, as we have a wood stove. Even closed up, there are leaks. If we run a fan blowing out upstairs to pull cool in downstairs, there is often a hint of "wood stove" smell in the living room.
Do you have a forced air furnace?
If you set it to recirc you could filter the air in the house.

Carly Simon turned 80 on June 25. She had so many great hits! Including the ketchup commercial song. :lau (If you don't know what I'm talking about, they used "Anticipation" for a Heinz ketchup ad.)

"Coming Around Again" is one of my favorites.

My dad would have been 97 on June 25th. That kind of blows my mind...

No, what really blows my mind is that I've lived 3 years longer than my dad did. And over a year longer than my mom.
Found your thread this afternoon, have enjoyed reading about your gardens and flocks, and all.

My dad would have been 95 on June 26th. This is the first year I've not been able to sing Happy Birthday to him, or send him a Father's Day card.

Which just goes to show that my uncle was right: It's the singer, not the song. Bill Bryson has made this book interesting. I'll be looking for any of his other books, on any subject.
He wrote "A Walk in the Woods" which was very good...
....don't watch the movie tho, it was terrible.

I planted 60 cloves, and the Great Washout in April removed 6. I think it's nearly ready to dig.

The garlic I'm using now is from the missed ones that grew from last year's crop. (Volunteers, like the potatoes.) I dug them out a couple of weeks ago. Not ready, but I wanted to get them out of that bed and use it for something else. The cloves are smaller than the gigantic ones I'm used to, but oh! fresh garlic!

Can you elaborate on that? Does the scape straighten back out...? I'd only heard the "a few brown leaves, and dig one to check" ways of telling if they're ready.
The scape will get straighter as the garlic gets ready to pick. They start off with a big curl and start uncurling. I can take a picture for you as it gets closer if you want!

IMG_4166[1].JPG
@aart, does this garlic look ready to dig?

We had 3/4-1" of rain yesterday, so should I let it dry out a bit (though we might get rain tonight). It's in my sandy soil garden, so it drains very well.

Only one of my adults might be able to wriggle through. If I see any problems, I can adjust it easily. Take out one screw (on the other side), cut the zip ties, and put the top piece down farther. (The lintel?) The grey pole can be shoved in a little closer and a little more.
I fixed my one non-adjustable tiny door by screwing a board on the side. It's the width rather than the height that will impede access.

@aart, what do you think? Is my garlic ready?
I see 2 dead leaf sets, and one ready to die, I'd pull it.
Did you dig down a bit to see if there are more?

The more the better for longer storage....but I'd guess 4-5.
I'll dig one tomorrow and see what it has.

Speaking of storage... should I leave the bulb intact, or separate the cloves? I've always separated them and picked out the 50-60 largest ones to plant. I've read "eat the little cloves and plant the big cloves."

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom