Salmon Fav Losing His Voice....sounds Raspy

whitewolfvt

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Barton VT
Trying again....please...
smile.png

Can someone please help me? I have one of my favorites, a Salmon Favorelles Rooster named Steve that is very hoarse. Now, I heard them crowing (5 roosters total) quite a bit today in their house. When I went in at evening time tonight, I was feeding the goats and heard this weird roo. My first thought is OH NO! Poofy (BC Polish bantam) is really a boy (she is a she...but is a couple months late on laying). Then I saw Steve roo. It sounds like he is rooing for the first time all over again. All I could find online was that it might be a respiratory infection and he could die! Do I have to take him to the vet? Or is there an antibiotic that I can give him. I thought maybe it was just him going a little hoarse from rooing all day. Thanks for the help!

Ya I would think Gapeworm or Respritory infections any other sign that he is sick is he opening and closing his mouth alot? are his nostrils blocked? any discharge?

I love faverolles I have a flock of bantams and they are my favorites hope you find out whats wrong.

Henry

did you recently clean out your hen house? If so, then maybe the dust particles are going around and he has a bit of a respitory infection. if that's the case, let the dust die down and it should clear up. I cleaned out my hen house this summer and forgot to let the chickens out and it got dusty and my salmon faverolles got teary eyed and wheezing, but the next day after leaving the hen house door open and putting a fan to take the dust out they were fine.

Thank you all for the replies! I don't write as much as I probably should....new chicks born....silkie roo died....etc. The Salmon Favs are my favorite. I LOVE their personalities and they don't mind being held and walked around by a 7 and 4 year old. My son (7) especially likes that he doesn't bite like our one Silkie roo, Desi.
Steve (the one that is sick)
sad.png
is the only one of 2 roosters doing his duty. As a result we had a chick hatch via incubator....its another roo and we named him Buddy. We only have one hen right now until it gets warmer. Because of my disability and my husband getting a small Part time job...we haven't been able to finish the "barn". I think what caused this is sawdust. We've had awful weather here with snow...subzero temps....high winds. We managed to get 99% of insulation in and 1/2 of the walls covered, but my husband has cut the wood in there. He's been like this now for 2 days. It looks to me like his mouth is open a little bit and when I brought him into the house, I could hear his breathing was like a slight squeeky noise. When he roos, my son says, "Steve, sounds like a girl" because it is a higher pitch. He isn't sneezing or coughing and I haven't seen any runny nose. I've looked him over good and hugged him and told him he isn't allowed to get sick. I crushed a couple of small garlic cloves and put them in their water dish. Just an FYI....because the "barn" isn't finished and we have goats in pens in there, the chickens are in large metal dog crates with pine shaving and last night I put some hay in there because Sweetie (the hen) was in a ruckus running around because she needed to lay an egg. I've lost so many chicks and a nice rooster that wasn't a year yet (he like to lay with the broody girls). I can't lose my Favs.
My question is this.....is there something to give him or should he go to the vet. Trying to avoid the latter due to car issues and therefore lack of $$. Thanks!!!!
big_smile.png

PS ....... Sorry so long!

Hello !! Glad to hear Steve is doing well :)
I have one Bantam Cochin roo (Midnight) that has been rooing lately and stops midway because he sounds very hoarse. I also have another Golden Cuckoo Maran roo and he is rooing just fine. They are both in the same location as well. Already have checked Midnight for gapeworm and have found nothing. He is my first roo and is very dear to me.

Did you ever find out what was going on with Steve? Midnight is free-ranged and is not allowed in my hen house so he stays up in the barn. I'm learning towards more of a respiratory infection but would like to make sure before I look for any treatment.

So; here is my main question.
Did you find out what was wrong with Steve ? If not, did it just work it's way through ?
If so, how did you treat it and what with ?

Thank you and please get back to me.

Have a great day !

I'm not Steve's owner (3 year old thread) but I would watch for more symptoms of a respiratory infection. Mycoplasma and other diseases are easily transmitted to chickens by wild birds, especially since he stays in the barn where there might be birds or droppings. Symptoms to watch for are bubbles in the eye, facial or eye swelling, nasal discharge, and sneezing. Tylan 50 injection would be a good antibiotic to use if more symptoms develop. I would watch him, and maybe keep him away from the others until you know he isn't contagious. Here is some reading: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you. I will read the article and hopefully I can find out what's going on with him. This time of year is crazy for everything medical !

Back
Top Bottom