Salmon Faverolle, walking in circles and falling over onto her sides (pics)

Edimcreedi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
I have a problem, my chicken has been walking round in circles for about 12 weeks, and just recently she has started losing her balance and falling onto her sides. flower (her name) was the only egg to hatch when our incubator broke so we always knew she wasnt the full ticket anyway, up until recently we thought she was just strange, because she may have had brain damage due to our incubator breaking on us. We have other chickens and none of them show the same signs, she is the only one, there's 3 of our chickens that she doesn't mind being around but the others she shows sign of deep stress when they come near her, we have looked up all poultry diseases and none fit, she is a bantam and I haven't seen much growth in the past month, we see her eat and drink but her crop is never full, does anyone have any ideas please.

Kind regards
Edith

Last edited:
she has fell over alot today, she seems to be getting alot worse, I don't know what it could be :'(

I'm not 100% sure but it might be rabies. I'm no expert but what you described seems to be nervous system related. Has your hen been around any animals that may have spread it to her?

I think only mammals can get rabies (so, I think that can be ruled out...) Any other symptoms...you mentioned slow growth, but have you noticed any diarrhea?

Yes she has had runny poos but also solid poos, she can't stand on her feet at all now, they aren't totally paralysed because she kicks them to try and get up, the only other animals she has been round is my other chickens, which none of them show signs of the same illness, when she tries to get up she just spins in circles on the floor, heres a couple of pics, shes a bit scruffy because of her going in circles on the ground

She eats normally but you have to put the food near her, she drinks also so there is not loss of appetite

Back
Top Bottom