Salmonella test... What to expect? *Update: Lots of bloody feathers...* Warning: Slightly graphic pi

Malibu99

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Hi there, I hope this is the right place to post this. Anyways,

We are getting our chickens tested on Monday for Salmonella (Outbreak at hatchery same time as we got our chickens... better to be safe than sorry, right?). So my questions are:

Where do they draw blood from?
What do I do?
Do I hold the chickens?
Am I supposed to bathe them or something?

I'm really nervous about this test. I've never had to do anything like this with them, and I love these birds and I don't want to lose them
hmm.png
Any advice is appreciated.

UPDATE: Well, all went well today... except when I went out to go check on them an hour later. I take a peek under Ella's wing... what do I find? Blood. LOTS of blood. Is this too much blood? She HATES being cuddled, and now all of the sudden, she wants to be held. She's also shivering, and she won't eat. I tried her favorite thing too- Tomato. I got a small peck, then she just stared off into space. Now she also freaks out and makes this sound that sounds like someone's killing her when someone touches that wing. She looks worse in person...

Last edited:
They just take a little blood from under the wing. No biggy. The test takes one minute and you can actually test more than one bird in the same time slot. You may have to hold the bird. No biggy. You will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom