Salted duck eggs??

Pics

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
So, when My ducks were young, I read on the internet that people were paying $22 for 6 salted duck eggs. They were hard boiled and soaking in a salt solution and sealed in jars. Of course I thought we were going to be rich! :lol: Then Chris brought me back to reality with licensing and foos sales etc, for liability issues. But I was still very interested in the idea. But, of course, my ducks never laid until Dec 29. :(. So, I am not rich from duck egg sales..:lol: Anyways..has anyone ever tried to make these type of salted duck eggs? I don’t really want to sell, them, but I was thinking it might be a neat thing to try..give to family, friends...IF THEY ARE GOOD..

Another question...we sell our chickens eggs for $2.50 a dozen. How much do you sell duck eggs for? We can’t possibly eat all the eggs we are getting from all the animals..and we already have a summer farm market at our driveway..so we’re just thinking of adding electricity out there and fridge with the honor system. :)

Around here people will pay $5-$10 a dozen for duck eggs since they are a treat for baking but every area is different. I have never had a salted duck egg but I have friends/family/neighbors lined up with empty egg cartons weekly for more eggs. I think they are so wonderful I feel like a snob when I have to eat a chicken egg now.

Hi Duck Farmer1. You can give it a try! I used to sell my duck eggs for $6 a dozen to neighbors and a restaurant last year. I'm in the city and duck eggs are a novelty to the yuppies! But they moved away and the restaurant stopped their orders. Now I sell them to a feed store for $3.50 a dozen. Better than them going to waste. I actually got a license to sell eggs from the State. Not a big deal and pretty cheap ($15 a year). Check your Agriculture Dept.

I've started pickling some of mine like the kind you get in taverns, and gave those to neighbors this holiday season. They're pretty yummy.

A friend of mine told me about those salted eggs, which look great, but haven't tried making them yet. Here's a link the friend gave me which shows how it's done. Let me know if it works!

Around here people will pay $5-$10 a dozen for duck eggs since they are a treat for baking but every area is different. I have never had a salted duck egg but I have friends/family/neighbors lined up with empty egg cartons weekly for more eggs. I think they are so wonderful I feel like a snob when I have to eat a chicken egg now.
Same pricing in my area too. I've never heard of salted eggs so idk. Sounds like it might be interteresting.

I'm selling my duck's eggs to an Asian Grocery store here in Charleston. They pay $2.75 per dozen and sell for $5.99 :( - I won't get rich, but it will cover the cost for the duck's food, the cat-food treats and maybe the straw. I'm recording the Duck-Financials in a google table and it will be interesting when the egg production will ramp up in spring.
Tried to sell eggs locally, on local farmer's markets and a wild market at the interstate with very little success (0073 Another attempt to sell duck-eggs), it seems none of those 'yuppies' live in WV.
The guy at the Asian Market told me he would pay more for salted duck eggs - but i don't know how much additional work that might be.
And of course you can become "filthy rich" if you sell Balut to a large Asian community, but i would only do that if i am completely, utterly broke and desperate…

Had to stay in a hotel this summer for three nights and on the first morning i made the mistake to grab some of their 'scramble eggs' - it almost fell out of my mouth, tasted so disgusting in comparison to scrambled duck eggs…
Don't get me wrong, it was an expensive hotel, over $200 per night, but just store bought eggs from very unhealthy and unhappy chickens. On the other hand the chicken eggs from our neighbors happy hens tasted fine. - Not as good as duck-eggs, but very well within the limits of personal preference.

Awesome! My hubby thinks I Should put an ad up at our grocery store..there’s a wall for local ads! :)

Hi Duck Farmer1. You can give it a try! I used to sell my duck eggs for $6 a dozen to neighbors and a restaurant last year. I'm in the city and duck eggs are a novelty to the yuppies! But they moved away and the restaurant stopped their orders. Now I sell them to a feed store for $3.50 a dozen. Better than them going to waste. I actually got a license to sell eggs from the State. Not a big deal and pretty cheap ($15 a year). Check your Agriculture Dept.

I've started pickling some of mine like the kind you get in taverns, and gave those to neighbors this holiday season. They're pretty yummy.

A friend of mine told me about those salted eggs, which look great, but haven't tried making them yet. Here's a link the friend gave me which shows how it's done. Let me know if it works!

Oh my goodness, thanks for all the great info!! He’ll love that the license is sooo cheap!! Looks like I have work to do! Oh, do you charge more for pekin eggs? They’re huge!! :)

I'm selling my duck's eggs to an Asian Grocery store here in Charleston. They pay $2.75 per dozen and sell for $5.99 :( - I won't get rich, but it will cover the cost for the duck's food, the cat-food treats and maybe the straw. I'm recording the Duck-Financials in a google table and it will be interesting when the egg production will ramp up in spring.
Tried to sell eggs locally, on local farmer's markets and a wild market at the interstate with very little success (0073 Another attempt to sell duck-eggs), it seems none of those 'yuppies' live in WV.
The guy at the Asian Market told me he would pay more for salted duck eggs - but i don't know how much additional work that might be.
And of course you can become "filthy rich" if you sell Balut to a large Asian community, but i would only do that if i am completely, utterly broke and desperate…
You and your computer stuff...I made all the spread sheets, and forgot to go back and record the stuff...so I bought plain old binders for the animals and now I’m good!! No yuppies in WV...gasp!! :). None here. Either. You should’ve seen the people at the auction last night..we were the only ones with teeth! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom