San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I'm new to the site, and new to chickens. I live in Rancho Penasquitos and just got my first 4 chicks. I'm curious about how the recent ordinance has affected the number of San Diegans starting to keep chickens. Does anyone know? Also, where are your favorite local resources/feed stores? There don't seem to be many/any in town.

The Elston's in Poway (on Garden Road) has a decent selection of chicken gear and feeds, but Ramona is loaded with feed stores if you don't mind driving a bit farther.

I need to rehome a rooster (who doesn't, right?). This guy is a Splash Wheaten Ameraucana who is not up to breed standard. (His comb is funky and his mostly white coloration is a no-no.) He is gorgeous, though, and would be a great addition to an EE or OE operation; he came from a very blue egg. Please let me know if anyone is interested in this 20 week old boy...

Last edited:
Gah I wish I could have more roosters!

My injured chicken was acting lethargic today so I took her to a vet that does birds. She now has staples in 2 of the wounds, and got a prescription filled at CVS. I hope she doesn't start putting on airs, now that she's done such fancy stuff for a chicken. The vet thinks she'll make it, although because she's older (3+ years) the vet said age can make healing harder.

Here's hoping she pulls through. This chicken was named by my daughter for her then best friend who now lives far away, and my daughter was sobbing because she didn't want to lose that reminder of her friend (in addition to being sad at the idea of the chicken herself not making it. This is one of our special chickens).

I have some silkie cockerels that came from Amber Waves Silkies in Norco two splash and one blue about 3&1/2 or 4 months old if any one is interested let me know.

Thanks everyone. Yes I was referring to the ordinance that passed earlier this year.

I am also breaking the CC&R rules. It's an older neighborhood and I see others in violation (RVs, boats). Our CC&R states "no animals or fowl, unless household pets". I consider them my household pets. We got our immediate neighbors' approval on both sides, with the condition that one of them will tell us to get rid of them if the smell or noise becomes a factor. We have 4 hens and they're 40 feet from his house. Another neighbor across the street heard about it and he is really upset and said that if they attract predators, he's going to have an issue with it. Keep in mind we already have predators (coyotes, hawks, the occasional bobcat). Due to that, we built a Ft Knox style coop and run with hardware cloth lining all sides and underneath. We also plan to also build them a mobile run so they can safely free range around the yard.

Very excited to be a part of the crazy chicken community and to meet up with some of you one day. :)

please let me know asap if anyone wants the splash silkie roo from, he is sparring a little to much with the blue boy and I would rather give him away here than on craigslist. He is free! he is nice when I pick him up and very pretty I call him Fritzy baby lol

I think i like Isbars are they nice temperment wise?

The ones I have here have all been very nice... friendly and inquisitive! My black pullet in particular always wants to know what I might have hiding in a hand or pocket. They seems to be mellow like Marans, but not as big and beefy.

Aumlet: Is the injured hen Falina? I hope she pulls though!

Back
Top Bottom