Sarnafil roof membrane for coop floor?

HopefulHens

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
MA
Hi - We are in the process of building our first coop for our six 5-week old hens. It is raised about 18" off the ground and has a plywood floor. I plan to use the deep litter method for bedding. I'd like to put something between the bedding and the plywood and we have some Sarnafil roof membrane leftover from a different project. This is a PVC membrane and since it is roofing material seems like it would be good for keeping moisture off the plywood. Can anyone think of a reason NOT to use it inside the coop?

The other thought I had was to use some extra gym mats that we have - they are the kind that interlock and are about 1" thick rubber. My concern with those is that they will hold too much moisture. Any thoughts?

Thanks for helping me think this through.

I see no reason why PVC membrane cannot be used inside the coop

I don't think gym mats will be easy to clean, and I think they might soak up feces and stink.. One of the best options I've noticed for the bottom of the coop is cheap vinyl flooring. It doesn't soak up anything and its super easy to wipe clean

I plan to use the deep litter method for bedding.
Deep Litter.....like you expect it to fully compost in place?
@3KillerBs has a great explanation for deep litter vs deep bedding.

Wonders if this material is meant to be walked on and scratched at(by the birds) and scraped(by you when you harvest compost or change out bedding)?

The other thought I had was to use some extra gym mats that we have - they are the kind that interlock and are about 1" thick rubber. My concern with those is that they will hold too much moisture. Any thoughts?
They might not hold moisture but moisture could get underneath them, growing mold and other nasties.

Tell us more about your coop and chickeneering plans/goals.
Dimensions, pics, number of birds, etc.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @HopefulHens
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1617456022446.png

Thanks for the reply @aart! I hadn't thought about the scratching of the Sarnafil. I plan on starting with 4" of shavings so it's unlikely the chickens will even get that close but my cleaning tools certainly will.

And for the article - I need to better understand the differences between deep litter and deep bedding so this is helpful!

We have four Buff Orpingtons and two Plymouth Blue chicks, about five weeks old now. Our coop (being built this weekend) is inspired by The Garden Coop with a few modifications:
Coop is 4x6
4 Exterior nesting boxes will be 12x12x14(ish)
Coop elevated 20" off the ground
I am thinking it will have two 2x4 roosts running the six foot length
Run is 10x6 including under the coop
1/2" hardware cloth everywhere including 12" into the ground (buried with rock and dirt) and 12" apron. We have fox, bobcat, coyote, hawk, bear....you name it.
Coop and run will have a plywood roof covered with metal roofing, slanted 6' front to 5' back.
The entire run and coop will have a ceiling of hardware cloth
Ventilation will be provided via the hardware cloth ceiling (4x6) which could be partially covered in the winter and also an East facing, 48"x6" window that will be over the egg box and screened with hardware cloth and a shutter.
People sized door will exit into fenced in garden area
Omlet auto door on order for the coop but will use temporary door until then

My only big unknown still is what kind of feeder and waterer I will use and the floor covering over the plywood.

I have been living and breathing coops for weeks now and I think this covers all my bases for healthy living that is predator proof. So far I have six gorgeous healthy happy chicks and I want that to stay the case once they move outside!

Any feedback is welcome! Thanks!

Deep Litter.....like you expect it to fully compost in place?
@3KillerBs has a great explanation for deep litter vs deep bedding.

Thank you.

From my article on Using Deep Bedding in a Small Coop:

Definitions:

Deep Bedding:
A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.

Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

This article is about Deep Bedding, not Deep Litter.

I'd like to put something between the bedding and the plywood and we have some Sarnafil roof membrane leftover from a different project. This is a PVC membrane and since it is roofing material seems like it would be good for keeping moisture off the plywood.

If you are using Deep Bedding there is no need to put a barrier between the bedding and the flooring because the Bedding itself will keep the plywood dry -- assuming that your windows and vents are appropriately sheltered so that no rain ever gets in and that you don't have a persistently leaky waterer. My Little Monitor Coop has a bare plywood floor that's in perfect condition after 8 years (mixed use and sitting empty), because it never gets wet from outside and the bedding absorbs all the moisture generated inside so that, with excellent ventilation, it evaporates rapidly. :)

I hadn't thought about the scratching of the Sarnafil. I plan on starting with 4" of shavings so it's unlikely the chickens will even get that close but my cleaning tools certainly will.

4" is nothing for a chicken to dig. They are like little backhoes for excavating. :D

If you are using Deep Bedding there is no need to put a barrier between the bedding and the flooring because the Bedding itself will keep the plywood dry -- :D

Eh, still doesn't hurt to have some sort of coating as that's generally easier to scrape clean than just wood. I use Black Jack 57 which is a rubberized roof "paint" that waterproofs and seals up small crevices. My chickens do a great job of randomly clearing an area of bedding, then pooping on the bare spots, so it's handy to be able to run a metal paint scraper over the spot and get it completely cleared without any worry of moisture getting into the floor itself.

Eh, still doesn't hurt to have some sort of coating as that's generally easier to scrape clean than just wood. I use Black Jack 57 which is a rubberized roof "paint" that waterproofs and seals up small crevices. My chickens do a great job of randomly clearing an area of bedding, then pooping on the bare spots, so it's handy to be able to run a metal paint scraper over the spot and get it completely cleared without any worry of moisture getting into the floor itself.

I've never had the issue, but climate and individual management style matter.

The only time the inside of my coop has ever gotten wet was when I was using it as a brooder and the chicks dumped the waterer. :)

Back
Top Bottom