Sauerbraten oops --> Stroganoff

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Rosalind, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I forgot I was supposed to make stroganoff tonight. I put a deer roast in the oven with cider vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaves, juniper berries, 2 chopped onions. When it was mostly done, I took it out, put it on the plate, and then realized I was supposed to be making stroganoff tonight, didn't have the rest of the ingredients for sauerbraten. Oopsie...

Added 1 box sliced mushrooms to the pan juice and let it boil a while until the mushrooms were done. Lifted out the onions and mushrooms with a slotted spoon, then added 1 large container sour cream to about 1 1/2 - 2 c. pan juices. Then added 2 tbsp. ketchup and 2 big dashes Worcestershire, stirred that around, thickened the resulting gravy with 2 tbsp. flour. Was really not expecting anything especially good, just edibility.

It turned out awesome! I really recommend it. DH cleaned his plate and mopped up the gravy with bread.

Sides: the cooked mushrooms and onions, wide egg noodles, sauerkraut, sweet red braised cabbage.

2. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    It sounds delicious. Don't you love it when you improvise and it works?

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    That does sound good!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by