Saving baby Morning Doves

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
Does anyone know anything about Morning Doves?

Last night when I went outside to check on my chickens, I noticed two baby doves sitting on the netting that covers my run. We waited for the mom to show up but she never did. So, with the temps already in the upper 50's for the night, we brought them in. I have them under the heat lamp now at about 85 degrees with some water and food. Unfortunately, all I had at the time for food was chicken feed. After work today I want to buy better food for them. Perhaps chick feed?

They are partially feathered, still can't fully stand on two feet and I am guessing are about two weeks old.

Any suggestions?

wild babies are very hard to car for especially wild birds. take them to the DNR and they can take it to a resue and rehab center for wild animals. my mom and myself resued baby oppossums and drove them to a rehab center. the sooner you get them there the better otherwise they will die

I think you should look for the nest and try to get them back. It has to be close by. I have morning doves that nest on my fence post every year, and this year that same thing happened. Luckily mine were fully feathered.

in the south we:
#1 remove the fearhers , wings & entrails
#2 rinse
#3wrap with country bacon & secure with toothpick
#4 cook on grill, but never over done
#5 look for more doves
YUM
smile.png

I raised a mourning dove, a robin and a starling one year because of mama not feeding them.... get a large syringe without the needle and get some parrot starter feed. It is a powder that you mix with water to feed them. Make it thick like syrup and gently squeeze into birds mouth every 2 hours at least...every hour is better.

It is the formula used for hand raising parrots.

Good luck...

Quote:
Awe your wicked!!!
tongue2.gif

You can feed them baby chick feed in water and then you have to hand feed them every three hours. Or you could get some baby pigeon feed and feed them that.

Back
Top Bottom