Savory bread puddings for any meal

This reminds me of a go to dish I used to fix. You layered bread, then cheese, meat, etc in a buttered dish. Then you added the egg/milk mixture. The instructions said to let it sit in fridge 2-3 hours to soak up the egg/milk mixture. It was perfect to make the night before and slip into cold oven next morning and cook it while getting other stuff done. This would work that way also. Just don't put a cold glass pan in a hot oven. My recipe used loaf bread. Hmmm.....wonder if you could use southern cornbread?

Thanks for sharing/ picture makes me hungry.

Last edited:
I made this again today. I changed it up a bit. I used bacon and I put in some maple extract. I want it to taste like a McGriddle......
yippiechickie.gif

I made a ham and cheese Strata this morning. Actually put it together before I went to bed last night and baked it this morning.

Even better than the biscuit pudding we thought. Used french bread cut into about 3/4" cubes, Honeybaked spiral ham, some onion and hot pepper, cheddar and parmesan.

SU1HMDAzNTYtMjAxMTEwMDItMDkzOS5qcGc.jpg

Tomato, onion,chili, garlic, thyme, oregano, cheddar cheese strata for dinner tonight. A salad from the garden with the last of the tomatoes and cucumbers.

I keep telling myself "it does not taste like eggs". : )

SU1HMDAzNjUtMjAxMTEwMTItMTkxNS5qcGc.jpg

How about a french toast version? I take torn up stale bread (French or plain Italian), place it in a sprayed (pam) glass pryrex baking dish (round, square, or rectangle. . .depending on how much we want). In another bowl, I take the zest of one orange, the juice from the orange, a few tablespoons of maple syrup (real, not fake) or sorghum, a couple of drops of vanilla, teaspoon of cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, whole bunch of eggs and a couple of cups of milk. . .beat the mixture. . .pour it over the bread. . . let it soak. . .a nice bread pudding or a "french toast casserole". Bake in 350 oven for 35-45 minutes. Serve as is or add more maple syrup.

The great thing about all these "egg casseroles" are that they can be assembled the night before. Since I'm not a morning person. . .being able to have an easy breakfast is always a good thing.

Or, an easy dinner. . .with a savory egg casserole. So many yummy ideas!

Note: I've not had issues with taking pyrex glass out of frig and putting it into the oven to bake.

Back
Top Bottom