Sawdust as last option

PViolet

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2021
Hello everyone!
I ran out of wood shavings. I've went through the whole town and couldn't find shavings, the only thing I found today was sawdust. Now, is it a good idea to use sawdust as bedding? I'm scared of them eating some, they are nine months old and even tho. they are adults now they literally try to eat everything... Also it's sawdust, kind of dusty as well. But I'm also left with it as the last option for now ugh... Does sawdust have more cons than pros? Anyone here using sawdust? :)

The shavings that I use hava a fair amount of dust in it as well. It makes great bedding as long as it isn't so dusty that it is hard to breathe.
I see... I find them good as bedding but I'm afraid they might use it for dustbath and it would cause a mess, also hard to breathe

Can you get straw?

I find that straw tends to pack and mat when used alone, but when mixed with other material it's a great addition.

Also, you might not really NEED to clean out your coop just yet. I just wrote this new article on Using Deep Bedding in a Small Coop. Maybe you just need to add some additional bedding to the shavings you've already got in there?

Can you get straw?

I find that straw tends to pack and mat when used alone, but when mixed with other material it's a great addition.

Also, you might not really NEED to clean out your coop just yet. I just wrote this new article on Using Deep Bedding in a Small Coop. Maybe you just need to add some additional bedding to the shavings you've already got in there?
Thank you! Hmm, I could get a straw, I've been using it years ago but alone and it really makes the coop messy, can't last even 2 days... how could I mix it actually? Wouldn't sawdust just go through it? Should I add equal amount of both or 1 more than the other?

Can you get straw?

Can you check your link? It appears to be broken, at least on my end.

Are we talking litter on the floor/poop boards or nesting material? Either way, aspen shavings would do (check the rabbit aisle) or maybe pine pellets - you can wet them down with water to break them down. How much water depends on how much you want them broken down - all the way would be sawdust, which is what I apply to my poop boards.

Back
Top Bottom