1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Saxonies??? anyone own them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cuqui18, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Cuqui18

Cuqui18 Chirping

Apr 17, 2011
    Concord, Ma
    what are they like? temperament? do u reccomend them as backyard pets? theyre beautiful!!!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't have Saxonies, but I know a couple of people who do own them. They are excellent ducks. If you buy good quality Saxonies, they will be large in size and calm in nature, as well as being exceptionally beautiful.

They have a reputation as being good broodies.

I think you will be very happy with them.

3. DaftaboutDucks

DaftaboutDucks In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    I have a Saxony pair & the female is quite vocal. It appears that they are good mommy's as the two goslings that we got cuddled right up to her.
    They are only 9 weeks old(the goslings are 7 weeks old). Yes they are beautiful ducks!! [​IMG]

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Crowing

Aug 30, 2009
    Mt Repose, OH
    My Coop
    I have one 9 week female Saxony who is very calm, quiet, and large. But she still distrusts me since I didn't hold her that much as a baby.

But, I have 10 more babies I just got today! I'm going to hold the 5 I'm keeping A LOT. That way I'll have calm, quiet AND tame ducks.

She's very pretty to me...

[​IMG]

Nothing cuter than a pile of them! Besides another pile of ducklings. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have 7 Saxony ducks I got from Holderread and they are about 10 weeks old now. They are beautiful and large birds. Mine seem to think I am an evil monster out to get them though. I think it was because I didn't handle them to much when they were little so now I sit out with them hoping that they will eventually get used to me. They are my first ducks and I think I took to many on at once, I got 7 Saxony and 7 Appleyards and recently hatched out 5 runners.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Songster

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I have two saxony hens. They are calm and personable, and are very big. They are just gentle giants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by