Say "hello" to my little friend! He's waving!

SteveUK

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
20200510_120841.jpg

I've had to turn my heat plate legs upside down. So I can get it low enough for them to be touching. I've ordered a new one with screw legs for hight adjustment, but the post is taking *forever *.
20200510_151344.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Maddroj. Yes that's what I do normally (I usually take one leg of completely) with my chicken hatches, but there's just too much of a difference in high with these quail and I'm worried they would all struggle to get to the lower part. In a couple of days I'll lift one end up a little. At the moment they are moving half in half out then going back under. The only noises they're making are those contented little chirps so I'm taking that as a good sign.
20200510_153424.jpg
20200510_153605.jpg

Last edited:
Woke up this morning to some lovely noises coming from the brooder and 5 more babies in the bator. 👏
Looking at them from above the brooder is like watching a game of "Sensible Soccer" (video game from the 90's).😁
maadroj, I did have to higher one end of the heat plate as they were getting too hot. So you were right. 👍
I did leave a table lamp on for them so they could eat and drink as needed. These little guy have made me soft. They're adorable. 😊
They are Golden giants, but seems like a brown has appeared. It is definitely the strongest and the boldest. Is this a trait or just coincidence?

So you mean by brown the wild type?
It may not even be what is officially called brown (if there is such a thing, they are referred to as such here), but it's the one in the pic, standing in its food. It's certainly browner than the others.
The eggs came from a farm as all golden.
Not sure if this is a gold colour variant or a throwback or a mis-gathered egg. I don't really mind which, but it's definitely the most vigorous. It's the only one trying to get up on top of the heat plate for example.

Ah ok ... should had opened my eyes more 🙈 ... it is the wildtype (Pharaoh)

And it is kinda drawback.
Italians are an intermediate mix of Gold (I think in the US you call them Manchurain) and wildtype. If you mate Italians, you get statsticly 50% Italians, 25% wildtype and 25% Manchurians. Professional breeder are mating a Manchurian male with wildtype hens to get 100% Italians.

Ah ok ... should had opened my eyes more 🙈 ... it is the wildtype (Pharaoh)

And it is kinda drawback.
Italians are an intermediate mix of Gold (I think in the US you call them Manchurain) and wildtype. If you mate Italians, you get statsticly 50% Italians, 25% wildtype and 25% Manchurians. Professional breeder are mating a Manchurian male with wildtype hens to get 100% Italians.
Very informative. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom