Scaley legs in 3 week olds

Laskaland

ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
Nebraska
So, what is missing from their diet if they have kind of scaley legs? Is it possible that the skin is just sloughing off, or is there a deficiency?
I feed them medicated starter and they get the vitamins, so what could be missing?
Thanks

They could have leg mites.There is more than one rx for that. Also use some kind of oil on their legs to help smother the mites. There is something else but I can't remember what that you use on them. Jean

i treated scaly leg mites with a mixture of malathion dust and vaseline i just mixed it in a disposable cup until i got a thick peanut butter texture then massaged it on my hens legs... and reapplied every 3 days until gone... malathion is a pesticide and mixed with vaseline kills and smothers the mites... PS my hen loved to lay on her back and have her legs feet and toes rubbed... hope this helps

i read somewhere vaseline with a couple drops of tea tree oil mixed in will smother mites as well. my chix liked the application, too.

i am still not sure what scales/mites looks like, but i did it anyway because supposedly it is non toxic and the skin on their legs felt rough.

Last edited:
Well, they have been together since I hatched them. In a rubbermaid box, so I don't think it's mites. I have used bedding from the same bag on all my chickens and these guys are the only ones that have it. Could it be anything else?
Thanks

Its winter and the air is very dry right now. Could it be that? I would go ahead and use the vasaline anyway. It will not hurt them. Also check your feed. They may need a different diet. I feed mine some scrambled egg occasionally. As egg yolk was their first food , it would not hurt them. I had mine and still do on the chick crumbles with amprolium to help with the cocci. Mine had it when I got them from a feed store. They were only a few days old. They can get it or any other disease from the hatchery area. Jean

Back
Top Bottom