Scaly leg/mite question?

showbarnmom

Songster
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
south central Texas
Bought a new rooster and his only issue is he had scaly leg mites, per the previous owner. I am assuming they went untreated or not completely treated due to the amount of "scar tissue" on his feet.

Is there anything I can do to get his feet looking better? Gel, sprays, creams, etc?

I dusted with seven dust today, and will be treating with topical ivermectin tomorrow to treat for any other mites. I did not see any preset on his body or legs, but not sure what to look for on his legs He is only a year old.
null-43.jpg

Bought a new rooster and his only issue is he had scaly leg mites, per the previous owner. I am assuming they went untreated or not completely treated due to the amount of "scar tissue" on his feet.

Is there anything I can do to get his feet looking better? Gel, sprays, creams, etc?

I dusted with seven dust today, and will be treating with topical ivermectin tomorrow to treat for any other mites. I did not see any preset on his body or legs, but not sure what to look for on his legs He is only a year old.
null-43.jpg
There are many remedies on various threads here at BYC.

His is very severe and will involve many treatments and sloghing of skin. May take months of treating, but go slow. I had 1 like that "dropped off" to me.

My recommendation is to use a spray called Scalex and Mite control (I think) by Murray McMurray (I think) asap. May also want to pick up a bottle of purple wound/antiseptic spray (again I think--it's late right now) to spray his feet post treatment because he will pick at it, causing bleed spots, the purple dye masks the color of blood so others won't pick and heal faster. Poor fellow!

You will need to treat him weekly if possible depending on the severity of the debriding of his mite infested scales so the new, fresh, clean skin/scale can grow mite free. It took almost a year to get ours "looking pretty" again. He's able to walk much better now!

Good luck and keep us posted. I can confirm the products/vendor later today if needed.

Ty. I read several threads after posting, and came to the conclusion I am doing what I need to. I have purple spray, and I'm going to pick up castor oil and tea tree oil today. I think that's the best course for him since everything is so bad. I read the castor oil is really soothing.

Ty. I read several threads after posting, and came to the conclusion I am doing what I need to. I have purple spray, and I'm going to pick up castor oil and tea tree oil today. I think that's the best course for him since everything is so bad. I read the castor oil is really soothing.
Yes, that is a good way to go as well. One word of caution, as the skin softens, it breaks/tears/bleeds easily. So treat, then let it harden a bit, then treat again. Not all will resolve in a few treatments, because there are eggs do deal within the scales. As new ones form, continue to treat, even if it looks better.

If you see that his feet are getting to fleshy/scales not hardening up, then consider the Scalex...it is not harsh on them, as some of the other sprays. It's quick and dries fast, so can be sprayed quickly at the legs/feet at feed or roost time...He'll go on eating and it will dry, without 'causing him to pick. Great also for long term maintenance, since they seem to be prone to it once it get that bad.

Thanks for your reply and best of luck, please feel free to stay in touch, looking forward to seeing his progress!
thumbsup.gif

Tea tree oil is a wondrous product, just may take quite a bit to get them knocked down quickly. So glad you had time to read up on it...

Where can I purchase Scalex? I believe in alternating treatments.
Hey, you can purchase it from Murray McMurray Hatchery. Inc. 800-456-3280
It's a bit pricy ($18.30) but very effective, alot of folks use it. You have it in 2 days.

I also purchase their Scalex blue strips that have been treated and hang from their hen boxes. When they walk in and out, it brushes the back of their head, like you would put drops on a dog, etc. and has really done away with the issues we had with mites and lice in our humid wet climate. I'll probably spray the strips every 3 months or so just to keep it active.

Just wanted to let you know. Please keep me posted on his progress? Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

I will look it up, thanks!

Today we took a long soak. Soap and Aveno soathing bath oils.
null-46.jpg

Rinsed him off and poured a good bit of baby oil down his legs.

Then we cuddles in a towel to dry off
null-45.jpg

When it's roosting time I'm going to spray purple wound spray in his legs. He's got a couple good sores. Then rinse repeat in two days. Going to use castor and tea tree oils next time. Probably do this 2-3 times a week for a few weeks.

Any idea if he still actually has mites? I'm going to ivermectin the new ones tonight, ten quarantine is over by the end of next week. Would like him to not be in a cage if he doesn't have to be.

I will look it up, thanks!

Today we took a long soak. Soap and Aveno soathing bath oils.
null-46.jpg

Rinsed him off and poured a good bit of baby oil down his legs.

Then we cuddles in a towel to dry off
null-45.jpg

When it's roosting time I'm going to spray purple wound spray in his legs. He's got a couple good sores. Then rinse repeat in two days. Going to use castor and tea tree oils next time. Probably do this 2-3 times a week for a few weeks.

Any idea if he still actually has mites? I'm going to ivermectin the new ones tonight, ten quarantine is over by the end of next week. Would like him to not be in a cage if he doesn't have to be.
OMG, he's precious!!!
love.gif
Sounds good on your plan. Just don't let the skin get to soggy. Needs to dry out some between applications, etc.

Treat all with the Ivermectin. Shouldn't have to separate him if he's sprayed down good with the purple stuff. heehee.. Just watch him, 'cause it's painful to have and to treat, he may peck quite a few places open off and on over the next few weeks.

Hard to tell with mites, they live in wood. Good idea to spray the wood that the birds perch, nest etc. on to deter mites, hence the strips come in handy with them getting a swipe daily. If you see little brown bugs at night (flash light) kinda remind me of weebils that get in old flour etc., red bugs, then you got 'em... Lice will show up as white nits at the base of their stomach/bum/tail feathers. Just spray weekly as needed. Best to prevent, if you can.

OMG, he's precious!!!
love.gif
Sounds good on your plan. Just don't let the skin get to soggy. Needs to dry out some between applications, etc.

Treat all with the Ivermectin. Shouldn't have to separate him if he's sprayed down good with the purple stuff. heehee.. Just watch him, 'cause it's painful to have and to treat, he may peck quite a few places open off and on over the next few weeks.

Hard to tell with mites, they live in wood. Good idea to spray the wood that the birds perch, nest etc. on to deter mites, hence the strips come in handy with them getting a swipe daily. If you see little brown bugs at night (flash light) kinda remind me of weebils that get in old flour etc., red bugs, then you got 'em... Lice will show up as white nits at the base of their stomach/bum/tail feathers. Just spray weekly as needed. Best to prevent, if you can.
Whoops, forgot he was new, yes, go ahead and keep him quarantined!!! Give him a chance to rest and check everybody and thing out. Thanks for keeping me posted.

How long should I keep him quarantined? I keep all my new birds, if I have seen where they came from, quarantined for a week. If I didn't, they stay for longer.

I saw her set up. It was clean, her birds all looked nice, there was some missing feathers but obvious from rooster activity.

I checked the two hens I got, and their feet look fine.

Could feet get like this from being on wire floor? She rotates hens and roosters. If they get beat up or go broody, etc. she had 3 large roosts, and several small wire bottomed cages for rotating. Could it be from that? I know he wasnt in there that much.

Back
Top Bottom