SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Kristy for pointing out the good ole' days were not always good. Yes things have changed, but I'm sure if you compared the 50's to some previous generation you would find a lot of contrasts there. I for one am glad that people do not stay stagnant.

Quote:
hugs.gif

Coming from a Native non christian, highly intelligent (she's in the upper 5 percent of the nation in IQ) mother who grew up on the Detroit side of 8 mile and in poverty, she got to see how great schools were in the 50's especially to girls, minorities, and non christians.

every generation has its good and its bad. things are not perfect now but in many ways they are a lot better than the 50's

Quote:
This is pretty person specific, not all "belindas" grew up that way in either time.
wink.png

1957: School bully beats kids up every day. boys will be boys

2011: School refuses to tolerate bullying.

Really? I was bullied all my school life, some teachers were witness, and nothing changed. BTW - my school life was from the 90's til 2009.
wink.png
We're talking name calling, threatened beatings, putting things in my hair, turning new kids to the school against me, drawing mean pictures of me and having the class laugh, etc. Yes, schools claim to not tolerate it but I have YET to see change.

1957: Native kid is often referred to injun and sent to an Indian school, forced to cut his hair, denied the right to speak his language or practice his religion, instead of being allowed to learn in class with the other children

2011: Indian schools abolished, (as defined in 1957), native children given right to their religion and language.

I don't know about you but we still have reservation schools, they're actually teaching Christianity, not the original Polytheistic religion, and only one person in the reservation can speak fluent of their native language. Speech classes are common and mandatory for those with too thick of an accent. Having brown skin and walking into restaurants in some cities out here isn't the same as others. And being white in a reservation. . . Also not comforting.

1957: girls in home ec boy's in shop, no exceptions

2011: each child allowed to attend what ever career oriented class they want no matter their gender

Not true, women are not allowed in Infantry
wink.png
And society and parents still steer girls towards more girly things, admit it.

1957: A Hindu child is violently beaten and called a devil worshiper.

2011: Equal religious rights in schools

That's why we have Christian Schools, and I was called a devil worshipper in public school (still in the 21st century) for being know to practice Pagan rituals, right?

I don't mean to start an argument, I just mean that now certainly isn't 100% better or worse than the past. Also, this thread was originally about perception of threats and terrorism, not culture changes and opinion.
wink.png

Quote:
This is pretty person specific, not all "belindas" grew up that way in either time.
wink.png

1957: School bully beats kids up every day. boys will be boys

2011: School refuses to tolerate bullying.

Really? I was bullied all my school life, some teachers were witness, and nothing changed. BTW - my school life was from the 90's til 2009.
wink.png
We're talking name calling, threatened beatings, putting things in my hair, turning new kids to the school against me, drawing mean pictures of me and having the class laugh, etc. Yes, schools claim to not tolerate it but I have YET to see change.

1957: Native kid is often referred to injun and sent to an Indian school, forced to cut his hair, denied the right to speak his language or practice his religion, instead of being allowed to learn in class with the other children

2011: Indian schools abolished, (as defined in 1957), native children given right to their religion and language.

I don't know about you but we still have reservation schools, they're actually teaching Christianity, not the original Polytheistic religion, and only one person in the reservation can speak fluent of their native language. Speech classes are common and mandatory for those with too thick of an accent. Having brown skin and walking into restaurants in some cities out here isn't the same as others. And being white in a reservation. . . Also not comforting.

1957: girls in home ec boy's in shop, no exceptions

2011: each child allowed to attend what ever career oriented class they want no matter their gender

Not true, women are not allowed in Infantry
wink.png
And society and parents still steer girls towards more girly things, admit it.

1957: A Hindu child is violently beaten and called a devil worshiper.

2011: Equal religious rights in schools

That's why we have Christian Schools, and I was called a devil worshipper in public school (still in the 21st century) for being know to practice Pagan rituals, right?

I don't mean to start an argument, I just mean that now certainly isn't 100% better or worse than the past. Also, this thread was originally about perception of threats and terrorism, not culture changes and opinion.
wink.png

actually i was giving extreme one sided variations in response to the original post.
I was bullied as well and i relize bullying has not been stamped out. Also it is fine if pagan and devil worshiping kids go to school too. They are allowed to be educated even if we don't agree with their religion.

also i am speaking of the Indian schools that would forcibly remove children form the home and place them in these schools.

It also depends on which reservation and which tribe you are speaking with when it come sto being white on a reservation,s peaking the language, practicing the many different tribal religions, and the indian schools.​

The 50s where not perfect but I'd take them any day over the violence and almost compleat loss of freedom of 2011.

Last edited:
Quote:
actually statistically there is less violent crime by population today then there was in the fifties.

and complete loss of freedom where? Because for some groups there is a heck of a lot more freedom now then they had in the fifties.

There a chick... :

Quote:
What's home ec and shop?
tongue.png
We didn't have classes like that in the 80's and 90's!
sad.png

I went to school in the 80's and 90's and I had both! I also went to ag class, and considered taking auto body​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom