SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
actually statistically there is less violent crime by population today then there was in the fifties.

and complete loss of freedom where? Because for some groups there is a heck of a lot more freedom now then they had in the fifties.

Well, our freedom when it comes to traveling and privacy is I think what was meant.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
actually statistically there is less violent crime by population today then there was in the fifties.

and complete loss of freedom where? Because for some groups there is a heck of a lot more freedom now then they had in the fifties.

Well, our freedom when it comes to traveling and privacy is I think what was meant.

while i would not call that a complete loss of freedom i will agree I do not like it either.

as i said before, each generation has its good and bad, but as a BI, non Christian, mix blood , woman, I am glad I live in 2011 over 1957

Quote:
What's home ec and shop?
tongue.png
We didn't have classes like that in the 80's and 90's!
sad.png

I went to school in the 80's and 90's and I had both! I also went to ag class, and considered taking auto body

We didn't have any of that...my mom would tell stories about making a whole outfit in home ec and wearing it to school. I had to wait until I was an adult to take classes at a quilt store to learn how to sew...

Quote:

I was just thinking of the people that lived back then that have told me of the differences. You could walk home at night safely, leave your doors unlocked, and leave your cars unlocked....ect.. Now adays not a good idea. Its always good to get info from the sorce not always what you read on the net or in statistics. And definitely not on TV.
Freedom? Just thinking about the people that can't keep chickens unless the government says so! I understand sometimes there needs to be rules in some super packed citys. How about the people that get fined for not mowing there lawn and the grass gets a little deep?(read that on a different thread)
smile.png
Or in my area people not being able to build on there own property without first paying over $15000 in fees and permits to the local government? (True story)
Just a few ideas... and I think that prejudice is wrong in any way and that the 50s where not perfect... just wish somethings would go back to the way they where its just my OP! Sorry to be off topic!

There a chick... :

Quote:
I went to school in the 80's and 90's and I had both! I also went to ag class, and considered taking auto body

We didn't have any of that...my mom would tell stories about making a whole outfit in home ec and wearing it to school. I had to wait until I was an adult to take classes at a quilt store to learn how to sew...​

awww that stinks. I had fun in both classes but I preferred shop. I still have the book case and tiger shaped book ends I made in shop at 13.

Gee, here in the south...

50s segregated bathrooms, pools, hospitals, voting etc

Now, integrated....

My kids scout troop would have looked completely different in the 1950s...we have mixed race couples with children, plain old Anglos, Indian (as in Asia) kids, Hispanic kids, black...none of that would have been allowed 60 years ago.

Yes some of the zero tolerance rules at schools are stupid...but it also means Johnny from the right side of the tracks doesn't get off scott free when Johnny wrong side goes to jail.

Most people who live in places that force you to mow the lawn, live there by choice. You have a choice to live in an HOA or not.

Last edited:
Quote:

Wellll I may have been a little strong! I think we live in a great country... just get a little passionate sometimes
smile.png

Quote:

I was just thinking of the people that lived back then that have told me of the differences. You could walk home at night safely, leave your doors unlocked, and leave your cars unlocked....ect.. Now adays not a good idea. Its always good to get info from the sorce not always what you read on the net or in statistics. And definitely not on TV.
Freedom? Just thinking about the people that can't keep chickens unless the government says so! I understand sometimes there needs to be rules in some super packed citys. How about the people that get fined for not mowing there lawn and the grass gets a little deep?(read that on a different thread)
smile.png
Or in my area people not being able to build on there own property without first paying over $15000 in fees and permits to the local government? (True story)
Just a few ideas... and I think that prejudice is wrong in any way and that the 50s where not perfect... just wish somethings would go back to the way they where its just my OP! Sorry to be off topic!

Crime shifts in areas but since violent crime per population has gone down a few things have happened. Crime is more well known due to modern media so it seems like there is more of it. People are still just as likely not to be accosted when walking hoe in rural areas but they tend not to walk alone without weapons because they are more aware of what could happen when in the 50's people were less aware of what could occur.

also as population rises so does crime. more people means more criminals. that is why you look at crime per population. while population has risen crime has not risen as fast as population which means violent crime per population is less. example 100 people and ten people commit a crime.
then you have a thousand people10 years later and 20 people commit a crime. while it is ten more crimes than ten years ago, the percentage is less because there are 900 extra people.

so while an area may have had less crime, than now, the area probably also has an increase in population. mean while places in cities like Detroit still had high crime even in the 50's

suburbs and HOA are just weird IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom