School fundraisers are evil....

Henrietta- even my FRIENDS think I am a lunatic on a soap box.
roll.png
*sigh* Oh well, thats why I am thankful for BYC friends like you
big_smile.png

as long as my boys were in school, we NEVER allowed them to be pushed into "organized begging".
We budgeted $60 per year per kid to be doled out as class fundraisers or troop stuff came up. If they wanted my boys to go door to door or stand at the mall, I said no, but we'll help drive kids to the event, do posters for the event, hang out and chaperone at the function.
My boys still did their part, but were not pushed or guilted into the other stuff.

I agree - I HATE fundraisers!!! I eventually learned to say no. I still buy something occasionally but if I see a kid standing at the door with paper in hand, I don't answer.

The best fundraiser our old school had was a Christmas store. This was when dollar stores were rare or non-existant. We'd ask for the parents to donate their unwanted junk, buy lots of stuff wholesale and then let the little kids go Christmas shopping for their family. We had items for a penny up to a couple of dollars. The kids came with a list of everyone in their family and an adult took them around to pick things out.

That was back when we had a Parent's Club rather than PTA at our school. I had 'lived under' PTA rule at other schools and this was far more my preference - all the monies stayed with the school, nothing had to go to the parent organization. Once the PTA replaced our group, I quit and not long after, we started homeschooling the kids.

My husband still talks about my brother's technique with fundraising. Whenever my niece was selling candy for 'whatever', my brother would walk into work with the box of candy bars, throwing them to everyone who passed by saying. "You owe me a buck. You owe me a buck, etc." She never had to go out to sell anything, he'd do it for her. Dh still tells that story to everyone who is involved with some form of selling. It must have made a huge impression on his young mind.

Even though the school district tell them not to go door-to-door you know they do, and it's just not safe. Then parents are expected to take them to work to hit up coworkers and most work places have passed rules now prohibiting that. Then the parents feel obligated to buy $200 bucks worth of crap so Jr. can win a slim filled rubber ball that lights up when he hits his little sister with it. I'm also a past Scout leader,,, I love the popcorn!!! But the local Packs and Troops don't get squat out of it.

Uh huh, the staff rooms in the schools where I sub are littered with fund raisers from kids of the employees. We get hit up at coffee hour at church, walking into the grocery store. And made to feel like a big ole meany when we say no.
Quote:

Last edited:
Now about those girl scout cookies, those aren't a fund raiser that are a basic food requirement!!! I still have 4 boxes of the chocolate mint in my freezer and I am a professional pastry chef!!! Now on the other hand, the "small" $12 can of caramel popcorn from the boy scouts kills me!!!!

Back
Top Bottom