Scratch

Is it okay to mix cracked corn with their layer feed.Our winters are very cold in ohio.I just started mixing the two together a couple of days ago...Thanks for any info....9 hens and 1 sweet rooster....

Quote:
Adding corn will not make the birds warmer!!!!!!! The only way it will make them warmer is through increased caloric consumption. If you truly want to make the birds "metabolically warmer" is to feed them high fiber ingredients, of course this will actually decrease feed intake and reduce the overall caloric intake and hurt the chickens.

If you want to use whole corn as a treat, knock youself out, but I'd recommend not indiscriminately mixing corn wtih commercial feed as it dilutes the nutrients in the commercial feed.

Jim

Sunbury- When you add corn to their feed the chickens will dig out the corn and you have alot of wasted feed. In winter I throw it on the coop floor and let them hunt for it in their bedding. This also keeps them busy so they arn't pecking on each other.

Quote:
This is simply NOT true!!!!!

Corn is a highly digestible source of simple carbohydrates for monogastrics. It does NOT produce extra heat during metabolism like is noted when feeding high fiber ingredients that result in fermentation in the hind gut.

Corn is noted as a "hot feed" in the cattle industry since it is so easily digestible and can lead to metabolic disorders such as founder and ruminal acidosis.

Jim

No matter how many times you say a lot of folks are going to believe the folk lore.

I tried to do a search on "heat" in corn and how it affects chickens. Was not real successful. Maybe I was using the wrong search terms or maybe the poultry industry doesn't see it as a problem.

I have noticed corn in my commercial chicken feed. It's good enough for the feed producers.

When I see posts about corn making your chickens hot I don't even respond.It is one of those things that you will never get some people over.
I buy a grower mash for my meat birds from a local feed mill and I raise Cornish X,a breed that is rumored to have all sorts of heat problems.The grower mash I use is very heavy in corn as a ingredient and it is found in most commercial feeds as well, even though many don't realize it.I have never ever found this to be a problem with the chickens I've raised. I like feeding scratch on the ground but along with their main feed in a feeder.. I think oats are one of the best things you could feed a chicken and Wheat helps make rich golden(not yellow)yolks Will

Quote:
This is simply NOT true!!!!!

Corn is a highly digestible source of simple carbohydrates for monogastrics. It does NOT produce extra heat during metabolism like is noted when feeding high fiber ingredients that result in fermentation in the hind gut.

Corn is noted as a "hot feed" in the cattle industry since it is so easily digestible and can lead to metabolic disorders such as founder and ruminal acidosis.

Jim

No matter how many times you say a lot of folks are going to believe the folk lore.

I tried to do a search on "heat" in corn and how it affects chickens. Was not real successful. Maybe I was using the wrong search terms or maybe the poultry industry doesn't see it as a problem.

I have noticed corn in my commercial chicken feed. It's good enough for the feed producers.

No kidding.
he.gif
I have given up trying.

Growing up, my dad always fed our chickens scratch. Then when I grew up and got my own chickens, I fed scratch. Then in the past year I read, it makes them hot and shouldn't be fed to them. WHAT?!!......... oh no...........
And now ya all come on here and say it's folk lore
phhheeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
Thanks for saying it!!
big_smile.png

I live in Australia,in a really hot part of it. Gets to 45c (110f) in summer. We only feed our chooks scratch. Never lost a one to the heat yet.

Back
Top Bottom