Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
Looking to increase my small gaggle with pretty additions. I have 3 mixed geese that are half white Sebastopol / half pomeranian saddleback (probably all female). Also have 3 colored Sebastopol - one male lavender, one male buff, and one female buff. They are all 8+ months old and the males are starting to get real friendly with all the females (even our little runner duck).

(1) Has anyone bred colored Sebastopol to half Sebbie/half saddlebacks? (2) Will the saddleback carry through to goslings? (3) Will the lavender or buff color pass to the goslings? (4) Will the automatic turner on the Nuture Right 360 work for a few goose eggs or do you have to hand turn?

I have also ordered 3 white Sebastopol goslings (2 female and one male) from Metzers that will be shipped in 9 weeks. (5) When they arrive, if I have a broody goose, would it be safe to put the goslings under her considering this would be the first breeding season for the young geese?

I appreciate any suggestions regarding my spring goose season. Any advice or experience regarding any of my questions would be great. I know the goslings will be mutts (only 3/4 Sebastopol), but they will be beautiful to me.

Finally, I considered mating the male and female buffs for purebreds, but I think they are related and both really dumb. Male gets lost in his pen, can't find way out and until recently was terrified of a little runner duck. The female tried to drown herself in an 8 quart bucket and just isn't very bright. Next year with new blood from Metzers, should be okay. And finally, (6) at what breeding combination could my initial breeding of half sebastopol to purebred sebastopols be considered purebred? In other words, my mixed goose with a lavender gander has a gosling that I mate to a Metzer goose next year then that gosling to another purebred. Looking forward to an exciting spring!

Attachments

• 2C8C3E79-CCEE-4606-96BE-781459A8E013.jpeg
    2C8C3E79-CCEE-4606-96BE-781459A8E013.jpeg
    802.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 5B18CD1D-C7F1-4EBE-B400-31BA743BB568.jpeg
    5B18CD1D-C7F1-4EBE-B400-31BA743BB568.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 9AFEC4F0-B98D-433D-9F77-5CE7B7FB5AEB.jpeg
    9AFEC4F0-B98D-433D-9F77-5CE7B7FB5AEB.jpeg
    498.6 KB · Views: 113
The colored sebastolpols are not pure bred because color isn't naturally found in sebastolpols, color is often bred in using other breeds then offspring are bred back to sebastolpols because color is dominant over white in geese

I haven't personally before but I have looked into genetics and buff is a recessivesexlink color so offspring so females can be buff if their father is passes on the buff gene (has to be father not mother) and for males they can only be buff if both their parents are buff (this can be used to sexlink genders as a bonus) the "lavender" genetics is from the blue gene which is an incomplete dominant gene meaning if one parent passes it on and the other doesn't then you will get a partly lavender bird usually pied which is the pattern of saddle back geese

Offspring should mostly be "saddleback" or habe spotting gene making them pied, and any of the colors can pass on sorry if I'm not totally clear like I said not an expert but here's some links that could help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-guide-to-colour-and-pattern-genetics-in-geese.561779/

Https://easternslopesbulletin.wordp...irie-grass-poultry/pomeranian-goose-genetics/

Thanks! Genetics is complicated. It would be great to breed the 2 buffs, but I think the stupid gene is dominant in both the male and female😊. They are fun to watch, but they aren't too bright.

Your explanation is great. I realize now that none of the geese I have are pure anything, so whatever I do will be an experiment.

So, I guess it really doesn't matter in long run. I just want to breed healthy, happy, smart geese with curly feathers and great personalities! Next year I can have a better plan with my upcoming Metzer additions.

Thanks for resolving most of my questions! Still wondering if it would be best to give my new mail-order goslings (March shipping) to one of my geese in a separate enclosure so she can adopt them or to just raise them in a box? And, will the automatic turner in a Nurture Right 360 work on goose eggs or do they need to be hand turned. No eggs yet, but quite a bit of activity in the goose pen! Geese are great animals!

Attachments

• 0918FB67-C810-4463-BADF-E1363B7301B7.jpeg
    0918FB67-C810-4463-BADF-E1363B7301B7.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 99
Thanks! Genetics is complicated. It would be great to breed the 2 buffs, but I think the stupid gene is dominant in both the male and female😊. They are fun to watch, but they aren't too bright.

Your explanation is great. I realize now that none of the geese I have are pure anything, so whatever I do will be an experiment.

So, I guess it really doesn't matter in long run. I just want to breed healthy, happy, smart geese with curly feathers and great personalities! Next year I can have a better plan with my upcoming Metzer additions.

Thanks for resolving most of my questions! Still wondering if it would be best to give my new mail-order goslings (March shipping) to one of my geese in a separate enclosure so she can adopt them or to just raise them in a box? And, will the automatic turner in a Nurture Right 360 work on goose eggs or do they need to be hand turned. No eggs yet, but quite a bit of activity in the goose pen! Geese are great animals!
I am not sure about the incubator question but I heavily advise against bloody goose asking hatchery goslings, of something goes wrong she can and will kill them, I'm happy to be able to help with the genetics :)

There are folks 3D printing turning trays for goose eggs for that incubator. check etsy. I used 3 Janoel 24s last year that had the height and turned the eggs but they came with there own set of issues. because of the size of African eggs they did not regulate the temp well when they were fully loaded since they are air circulated. This lead to spread out hatches over 3 days. So I could only do a few eggs in each patch. Every incubator has its own issues.

I am not sure about the incubator question but I heavily advise against bloody goose asking hatchery goslings, of something goes wrong she can and will kill them, I'm happy to be able to help with the genetics :)
I think you meant 'broody' not 'bloody'.😀 Got to love predictive text! Thanks, I kind of thought that could happen and even though I purchased the extended bird insurance from Metzer, I would freak if I came out to the pen in the morning and found the babies dead. I really appreciate the warning. Kicked me back into reality.

There are folks 3D printing turning trays for goose eggs for that incubator. check etsy. I used 3 Janoel 24s last year that had the height and turned the eggs but they came with there own set of issues. because of the size of African eggs they did not regulate the temp well when they were fully loaded since they are air circulated. This lead to spread out hatches over 3 days. So I could only do a few eggs in each patch. Every incubator has its own issues.
Interesting...I would think my future goose eggs should be a little smaller than your African eggs. I looked on Etsy and found the turner that you mentioned. Thank you for the information. I also saw another interesting item, a bit pricey though.

It is a sleeve that raises the NR lid an extra 1 1/2 inches. I've seen videos where the newly hatched baby birds roll out like popcorn because there isn't a higher edge on the incubator and there used to be an issue with the fan and older models. I wonder if anyone has used this item and if it is worth it.

It is funny that Nuture Right hasn't come out with their own variety of sized turners and lid risers.

Attachments

• 6D7A08C5-63AC-41B1-AAC5-6D543E3E05C5.jpeg
    6D7A08C5-63AC-41B1-AAC5-6D543E3E05C5.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 99
Interesting...I would think my future goose eggs should be a little smaller than your African eggs. I looked on Etsy and found the turner that you mentioned. Thank you for the information. I also saw another interesting item, a bit pricey though.

It is a sleeve that raises the NR lid an extra 1 1/2 inches. I've seen videos where the newly hatched baby birds roll out like popcorn because there isn't a higher edge on the incubator and there used to be an issue with the fan and older models. I wonder if anyone has used this item and if it is worth it.

It is funny that Nuture Right hasn't come out with their own variety of sized turners and lid risers.
Thats fantastic. This year since my birds are going to be my retirement fun! I invested in a OVA- Easy-360. Cabinet incubator. And got my generator fixed just in case. And bought heating pads just in case all else fails. There is nothing like hatching baby geese. From the time they can talk and communicate with you inside the shell till the time they finally walk but they are always talking with you. There is a great start to finish artical on the goose thread. I read it every season and when in question just to remind myself. Great Bonding!
here it is
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Thats fantastic. This year since my birds are going to be my retirement fun! I invested in a OVA- Easy-360. Cabinet incubator. And got my generator fixed just in case. And bought heating pads just in case all else fails. There is nothing like hatching baby geese. From the time they can talk and communicate with you inside the shell till the time they finally walk but they are always talking with you. There is a great start to finish artical on the goose thread. I read it every season and when in question just to remind myself. Great Bonding!
here it is
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/
Sounds like we have similar plans for a fun retirement. I've gone through the entire goose thread you mentioned and book-marked it.

My geese also talk to me but, laugh at me too. When they sneak onto the front porch... them, "honk, honk, honk". Me, "that's not funny, don't poop on the porch". Them, "honk, honk, honk".
I visit the chicken coop, they sneak in the garage. Me, "what are you doing in there?" Them, "honk, honk, honk!" Me, "not funny!"

We had a 3 hour power failure last winter, in the middle of the night, a week after our chicks arrived by mail. I quickly gathered them into a small box and my husband and I sat in the car, in our pajamas, with the heater on for hours. Obviously that won't be possible with eggs in an incubator. Your generator idea is great. Hopefully, you won't need the back-ups, but I think I will do the same!

Thanks for the ideas and happy retirement!

Sounds like we have similar plans for a fun retirement. I've gone through the entire goose thread you mentioned and book-marked it.

My geese also talk to me but, laugh at me too. When they sneak onto the front porch... them, "honk, honk, honk". Me, "that's not funny, don't poop on the porch". Them, "honk, honk, honk".
I visit the chicken coop, they sneak in the garage. Me, "what are you doing in there?" Them, "honk, honk, honk!" Me, "not funny!"

We had a 3 hour power failure last winter, in the middle of the night, a week after our chicks arrived by mail. I quickly gathered them into a small box and my husband and I sat in the car, in our pajamas, with the heater on for hours. Obviously that won't be possible with eggs in an incubator. Your generator idea is great. Hopefully, you won't need the back-ups, but I think I will do the same!

Thanks for the ideas and happy retirement!
even a better idea after last year running eggs from my home to the office after the power went out. Then spending he rest of the night running them back because the power went out there but was back in the house. I know crazy. Right. well I bought. UniHeat pads for this year as a 3rd back up. Life is good and baby geese make it better!

Back
Top Bottom