even a better idea after last year running eggs from my home to the office after the power went out. Then spending he rest of the night running them back because the power went out there but was back in the house. I know crazy. Right. well I bought. UniHeat pads for this year as a 3rd back up. Life is good and baby geese make it better!
Oh, that is good. I just added it to my Amazon cart to remind me when my geese start laying some eggs for me.

Since they are all about 8 months old, I'm not sure their eggs will be fertile, but it won't be for a lack of trying. Of course, can't help but laugh when our really dumb buff boy stands on top of a female sideways while the other geese are cheering him on! He tried ice skating on a frozen puddle today and failed miserably.

Here's a picture of our boy, Hyacinth. I was told that most buff Sebastopols are female, so he has a girl's name.
70E3A979-BA9F-41F5-A088-B6DC5B4AD6FD.jpeg

Here's a picture of our boy, Hyacinth. I was told that most buff Sebastopols are female, so he has a girl's name.

Oh, that is good. I just added it to my Amazon cart to remind me when my geese start laying some eggs for me.

Since they are all about 8 months old, I'm not sure their eggs will be fertile, but it won't be for a lack of trying. Of course, can't help but laugh when our really dumb buff boy stands on top of a female sideways while the other geese are cheering him on! He tried ice skating on a frozen puddle today and failed miserably.

Here's a picture of our boy, Hyacinth. I was told that most buff Sebastopols are female, so he has a girl's name.View attachment 2970403
Very Pretty!
Buff is a sex-linked color but only if the gene is first gen. You never know your hidden gene till it pops up. Im breeding my brown boys to buff girls this year all off spring should be brown. The girls will be genetically brown but the boys will be considered half and will carry the buff gene so there offspring ban be brown or buff. But again that Africans

Very Pretty!
Buff is a sex-linked color but only if the gene is first gen. You never know your hidden gene till it pops up. Im breeding my brown boys to buff girls this year all off spring should be brown. The girls will be genetically brown but the boys will be considered half and will carry the buff gene so there offspring ban be brown or buff. But again that Africans

So, my buff male had to have both parents buff, whereas the female may have had one or both parents buff.
The breeder who sold me my colored Sebastopols said that most of her buffs are female, so I gave both of them girl names.
When Hyacinth grew to be the largest goose, I thought she might be a he. When Hyacinth started trumpeting and mating with all the females (runner duck included) I knew I had a gander for sure!
I'm going to give them all (I think I have 2 males and 4 females) access to their night time house during the mornings starting tomorrow. There is a lot of extra hay in there, but I might have to keep the boys out at night since it is only 4' x 8' feet. 0521A969-5D66-426D-894D-77413578436B.png Hopefully in the next week or so maybe I'll find some eggs!

So, my buff male had to have both parents buff, whereas the female may have had one or both parents buff.
The breeder who sold me my colored Sebastopols said that most of her buffs are female, so I gave both of them girl names.
When Hyacinth grew to be the largest goose, I thought she might be a he. When Hyacinth started trumpeting and mating with all the females (runner duck included) I knew I had a gander for sure!
I'm going to give them all (I think I have 2 males and 4 females) access to their night time house during the mornings starting tomorrow. There is a lot of extra hay in there, but I might have to keep the boys out at night since it is only 4' x 8' feet. View attachment 2972823Hopefully in the next week or so maybe I'll find some eggs!
Her Boy could have had a hidden buff gene if there was a buff cross in the past.
I have 2 girls who hump allot Both the girls and the boys, one because my ganders are young and she just wants to be bred. She mostly side humps never making the ail connection. The other because she is just a dominate little girl she makes the tail bump and has done this since she was 8 months old. By the way they both lay eggs. My boys will be one year in April there slowly getting how to hit the mark by watching the girls.
Trumpet is a good sign its a boy also Watch for chest banging between ganders this start young. Usually that only happens if you have 2 ganders.
If you thinking you want to separate look for neck to neck standing combat. Gander dances when they win. Pond Violent Dominance. Or just a gut feeling. Its up to you. I have one healing in my living room right now. Nice little house like the look out window.

Well that settles it...back to basics. Since there is no way I will visually inspect goose private parts and I'm not going to send off for a blood feather test...I will be 100% certain that I have a female goose when I find an egg!!!!!
I now do a quick wellness check of the geese in the morning to identify problems early. Had a problem with toe sores the other month. I thought one of the geese was being mean when it was biting feet of other geese in the kiddie pool until I caught that same goose biting its own foot under water. Went through a month of foot baths, covering with antibiotic cream, wrapping the foot every night, even administering oral antibiotics when the sores were really infected. Thankfully, they are better and they have moved on from biting toes. It would have been a lot easier if I caught that problem earlier.
It is amazing what trouble they can get into.

Well that settles it...back to basics. Since there is no way I will visually inspect goose private parts and I'm not going to send off for a blood feather test...I will be 100% certain that I have a female goose when I find an egg!!!!!
I now do a quick wellness check of the geese in the morning to identify problems early. Had a problem with toe sores the other month. I thought one of the geese was being mean when it was biting feet of other geese in the kiddie pool until I caught that same goose biting its own foot under water. Went through a month of foot baths, covering with antibiotic cream, wrapping the foot every night, even administering oral antibiotics when the sores were really infected. Thankfully, they are better and they have moved on from biting toes. It would have been a lot easier if I caught that problem earlier.
It is amazing what trouble they can get into.
Going back to basics helped. I have 3 female geese for sure because I found eggs from each of the three! Odd thing is that only the eggs from one of the geese are fertile and growing in the incubator.

Next spring we should be selling eggs and goslings...if things go as planned (God willing). Raising them this past year has enriched my life with joy.

Right now our Sebastapol/Pomeranian mix are 10 1/2 months old (3 females); our Moonlight valley farm colored Sebastapols are 9 1/2 months old (1 female and 2 males).

The oldest 3 females are all laying eggs but, it seems like the boys haven't gotten their mating right yet. Only the eggs from one goose are fertile.

Last year, my 3 Pomeranian goslings came from a lady who had 2 pure white Sebastapol females and a Pomeranian gander. Earlier I was trying to understand the genetics and genders, now I just want to raise healthy babies. (I appreciate your feed suggestions on another post!!!)

I'm in eastern PA. From everything I've read, my ganders should be more reliable next year. That should provide new opportunities.

Short anecdote: I can't help but shake my head when I look out the window and see my gander standing sideways on top of a goose and he is only drinking water from a bucket! With my gander pair's antics I'm surprised I have any fertile eggs!!!

Oh yeah, I came across that farm while searching for sebbies, if you don’t mind sharing how it’s been with them? And keep all of us posted, would love to see the little ones once they’ve hatched!!

Moonlight Valley Farms has a wonderful array of animals that are well cared for. The owner is a delight and her love of animals and nature is apparent in the way she has created a beautiful and caring farm.

Back
Top Bottom