Sebastopol experts? Curious about my new Sebbies…

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello!
Just got a new Sebastopol pair, they aren’t super curly, not sure if there is any way to tell if they are pure Sebastopol or mixed? I have pictures. Anyone have guesses? I’m more of a pilgrim goose lady so I just don’t have experience with sebbies. They have wonderful temperaments though! And they do this cute squeak, never heard a goose squeak like that before. Pictures attached.
thanks y’all! :frow
M:bun

Attachments

• FB288955-8C88-4ADC-A074-A0BCF328F13A.jpeg
    FB288955-8C88-4ADC-A074-A0BCF328F13A.jpeg
    872.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 44DB09B8-54A3-49EA-B63B-8F7F9FCE6547.jpeg
    44DB09B8-54A3-49EA-B63B-8F7F9FCE6547.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 49
  • C37A25F8-EBDD-4C6D-B437-FE0563A94885.jpeg
    C37A25F8-EBDD-4C6D-B437-FE0563A94885.jpeg
    757.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 13FD46EF-68BD-4A6D-B564-7FD609AC5B97.jpeg
    13FD46EF-68BD-4A6D-B564-7FD609AC5B97.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • EAE04D04-9BC2-4810-A30E-A6710721ED48.jpeg
    EAE04D04-9BC2-4810-A30E-A6710721ED48.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • C3D144AF-8DCA-4A6D-9664-75149A1F6288.jpeg
    C3D144AF-8DCA-4A6D-9664-75149A1F6288.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
No clue as I haven't owned them either. I like your buff geese. They are my favorite breed. :) Hopefully someone familiar with the sebastopol can help out.

I'm not an expert... but here is what I think I know (take that statement at face value)

The recognized breed standard calls for pure white geese with blue eyes. Any Sebastopol that has any kind of color to it, is considered experimental. In the United States, only the fully curly is recognized (ie. smooth breasted is not recognized). In some other regions, the smooth-breasted is also recognized.

Personally, I have Sebastopol geese that are:
  • Fully Curly - White With Blue Eyes (recognized breed standard)
  • Fully Smooth (not just smooth breasted) - they're white and have blue eyes, but none of the curly feathers (does not meet any breed standard)
  • Grey Full Curly - they do not have blue eyes.
So, are your geese "purebred Sebastopols"-- according to the breed standard, I don't think so... they appear to have some color variation to them in the photos. Despite the fact that smooth-breasted are not recognized in the USA, there is evidence that suggests that bringing smooth into a breeding program is desirable, as it can help to bolster the quality/thickness of the feather which is needed in this breed.

Hopefully, someone who is an expert can help shed further light - but I hope I have provided some information that may help answer your question(s).

First photo is of my full curly - this was the day they came home from being rescued from a lady who kept them in a pig pen.

Second photo - the smaller 4 white geese are fully smooth Sebastopol Siblings (not appropriate for breeding). The 2 larger white geese are Embdens and the grey geese are Chinese.

Attachments

• 20210811_180810.jpg
    20210811_180810.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • geese herding.jpg
    geese herding.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I'm not an expert... but here is what I think I know (take that statement at face value)

The recognized breed standard calls for pure white geese with blue eyes. Any Sebastopol that has any kind of color to it, is considered experimental. In the United States, only the fully curly is recognized (ie. smooth breasted is not recognized). In some other regions, the smooth-breasted is also recognized.

Personally, I have Sebastopol geese that are:
  • Fully Curly - White With Blue Eyes (recognized breed standard)
  • Fully Smooth (not just smooth breasted) - they're white and have blue eyes, but none of the curly feathers (does not meet any breed standard)
  • Grey Full Curly - they do not have blue eyes.
So, are your geese "purebred Sebastopols"-- according to the breed standard, I don't think so... they appear to have some color variation to them in the photos. Despite the fact that smooth-breasted are not recognized in the USA, there is evidence that suggests that bringing smooth into a breeding program is desirable, as it can help to bolster the quality/thickness of the feather which is needed in this breed.

Hopefully, someone who is an expert can help shed further light - but I hope I have provided some information that may help answer your question(s).

First photo is of my full curly - this was the day they came home from being rescued from a lady who kept them in a pig pen.

Second photo - the smaller 4 white geese are fully smooth Sebastopol Siblings (not appropriate for breeding). The 2 larger white geese are Embdens and the grey geese are Chinese.
Hey! Thank you :) Yeah, i was looking at the standard myself. I rescued them from a situation, too. The lady selling them wasnt their original owner, she was selling them for a family member who was sick and couldnt care for them anymore. So she didnt have very much info. The one large one i was thinking could be mixed with embden, and the smaller female looks half roman, IMHO. But, who knows. I just was curious, because if I sell their babies I want to be as honest about them as I can be. But they would definitely be as "pets only", no breeding or show quality for sure

Hello!
Just got a new Sebastopol pair, they aren’t super curly, not sure if there is any way to tell if they are pure Sebastopol or mixed? I have pictures. Anyone have guesses? I’m more of a pilgrim goose lady so I just don’t have experience with sebbies. They have wonderful temperaments though! And they do this cute squeak, never heard a goose squeak like that before. Pictures attached.
thanks y’all! :frow
M:bun
Hello! I just got my 2 sebbies in May of this year. Tell tale sign is the blue eyes, if they have blue eyes then they are true sebbies. From the photos they appear to be spot on. also, the longer their feathers (touching the ground) the better the breeding "soft, fluffy feathers of the back, wings and tail have flexible shafts, are attractively spiraled, and in good specimens are so long that they nearly touch" Livestockconservancy.org.

Hello! I just got my 2 sebbies in May of this year. Tell tale sign is the blue eyes, if they have blue eyes then they are true sebbies. From the photos they appear to be spot on. also, the longer their feathers (touching the ground) the better the breeding "soft, fluffy feathers of the back, wings and tail have flexible shafts, are attractively spiraled, and in good specimens are so long that they nearly touch" Livestockconservancy.org.
Yeah they do both have bright blue eyes. Thanks for the comment and hope your sebbies are doing so well! 💗

Yeah they do both have bright blue eyes. Thanks for the comment and hope your sebbies are doing so well! 💗
Embden Geese are white and also have blue eyes - so, the blue eyes do not rule out a mix.

I believe white Chinese also have blue eyes - but then you'd likely see a knob.

Back
Top Bottom