Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Pics
duck&chickencrazy :

Im gonna be getting my first ever sebastopol goose on Sunday!!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif

I'm so excited!!! I will post pics when I get him
smile.png

And hopefully some goslings from Cottage Rose in the spring!!

clap.gif

IM NEW! I need to know EVERYTHING about Sebastopols. I want to get some because my mom REALLY likes the birds and I've always wanted geese. I know how to take care of geese, any specialty things that sebs need?

I am feeding Pennfield Grower/Breeder, and some oats, barley and BOSS as a treat, i try not to give it to them till they eat their pellets they also get a little scratch but i try to make sure only the chickens get that. I just started giving them Kale and Collards, which they love, I tried grass hay and some really nice alfalfa. i try to just give them the leaves/flowers/dust lol and not so much of the stems but they don't really mess with it. Any suggestions for other winter greens or other stuff they should be getting. Also does anyone use or prefer Pennfields over Hubbards or vice versa? I can get both and are comparable in price but just want to give them whats best. I tried southern states but they would rather starve then eat it, it looks like kibble but the chickens like it so i guess i now am the proud owner of a 50lb bag of chicken treats. lol So pretty much what i want to know is which is better Pennfields grower/breeder or Hubbards or is there something better then the both of them and what else should they be getting or getting more of.(they are 2 and 3 and i'm hoping to breed them.

Also any advice for convincing my husband to let me put an incubator in our house would be greatly appreciated! LOL (also if anyone is looking to sell one i'm looking to buy one)

If you can get it- Flockraiser is a good crumble feed that doesn't have any animal by-products. I think its either 18 or 20% protein though. I can't get it very often so I have been combining this game feed called "Knockout" with a little layer crumble. And of course they get into the 5-way scratch occasionally. I supplement in the winter with store-bought turnip greens. They're really high in calcium and seem to keep egg production high in all of my fowl. Its pretty cold in my kitchen so I don't even need to make room in the fridge for them
smile.png
I have tried growing them all year, but I have too many birds and the garden is usually exhausted by December.

I believe that the only place for and incubator is in the house. Not the barn, not in the garage. In the house. So many things could go wrong. So just say its very imperative that the incubator be inside, for the hatchlings safety.

xIndigoSkyx-- There are a couple things that you have to watch out for in Sebs that other geese don't require. I am still learning about them myself, but one thing you need to be ready for is protecting them from the elements. They can't tolerate the cold/wind like other breeds because of thier curly feathers.

Metzer farms has lovely birds. Some of my ducks are from there. Will they ship to Canada?

Back
Top Bottom