Sebastopols. A cash crop?

60705_lucas_kids_geese_024.jpg

I think I have the hang of it just not all in one group. Where are their feet?

60705_lucas_kids_geese_028.jpg

Groups with different colors. All of the pictures I am posting were taken in September, so they were not fully feathered yet.

Last edited:
jojo@rolling acres farm :

Very nice! Love the pics! Besides the pretty feathers - love the look of the heads & necks on your birds.

Yes, me too.
tongue.png

Thought I'd add something about my own experiences getting started with the birds I wanted from those who had what I liked. I have had to be patient and get adults like I have said. No choice about getting day olds. Not an option. Sometimes a very good start was gotten but after a season or more something was needed, especially if it was only a pair or trio gotten in the first place. I can say that without exception the breeders who have given me a start have been extra helpful once I am doing well with their stock and want to keep making progress. In some cases needed birds have been sent for the price of the box and shipping. In all cases a lot of thought went into getting me the birds that would help me keep moving forward. I hear and read of horror stories and all I can think is that I have a lot of very good luck or have been lucky to be dealing with real breeders and not propagators. The show world has not been the cut throat thing some might think it is and these people have been very helpful. So for the price of a few babies I have an adult of known quality, matched to another by the breeder who is already producing what I like. A good start not to mention continued help and often a friendship based originally on a common interest.

Quote:
Its an on going thing. The Gray Saddleback are by far the best in the colored birds but always working on feather width. I am still working on the other colors ,some seem harder to get good feather on than others. In the 5 years that I have been breeding I have never repeated a breeding always taking the best and moving forward and have a great time doing it. I have used whites with some of the colors trying to get better feather quality , head and necks. Thanks to Dave Kozakiewicz for the heads and necks. No Cottage Rose none of the birds are For Sale , just for looking. I will try to get some other pictures of the colors that were not shown. Thank you for all the nice comments.

Mrs. Turbo :

Jennifer,
We kow Dave, really nice guy. my husband has spent hours on the phone with him talking about geese. We love to pick his brain.

He sure is a nice guy and a Great friend . He probabaly need his brain picked from time to time.​

I would love to breed sebbies in the future. I am most interested in whites, but I love greys as well.

For the newbie, can anyone give any advice? This thread has taught me a bit of what the standard is; that was very helpful. Jennifer and Cottage Rose, your birds are some of the nicest I've seen. I live in Canada, but perhaps when I do start breeding I will try to purchase birds from either of you... No good sebbies here, really.

Back
Top Bottom