sebright thread

Pics
Hate to be a downer today, but I lost one of my roosters to the cold. Don't know how or why. He was healthy and active as ever this week and I didn't notice any abnormal health issues. I guess the temperature was too much for him.

Sorry about the loss. These birds just can't handle the cold.
hugs.gif

Hate to be a downer today, but I lost one of my roosters to the cold. Don't know how or why. He was healthy and active as ever this week and I didn't notice any abnormal health issues. I guess the temperature was too much for him.

How cold was it? I've had Sebrights here in upstate NY handle temps of 25 below zero with no problems.

Quote: Well, it was at least low-mid 30's, and the more I thought about it, the more I just assumed it was the cold. But if it was, then I would be having birds die left and right which is definitely not the case. I necropsied the bird and didn't noticed anything obvious. Healthy liver, no excess mucous/lesions in the trachea, no parasites in the intestinal tract... I'm not sure what it was.

Last edited:
So, if someone knows, please tell me.
old.gif

A couple of years ago, my son took this sebright to the fair, and the judge told him that white earlobes were a DQ. Since then the bird has matured and now the lobes are faintly turquoise. I read that white was the original prefered color, then transitioned to red or turquoise being preferred. But I can't find anywhere that white is a DQ.
idunno.gif

This is a small fair, he is a 4H'r, so there are maybe 10 birds per class. I think that he is going to take this bird back this year as all our 'nice' chickens were eaten by a racoon. (They always eat the prettiest. )
I just want to warn Noah if the bird will automatically be ruled out.
hit.gif

It is also very variable from one year to the next depending on who is judging. One year Noah's duck won Champion, the next the judge barely glanced at him.
barnie.gif

Susan

70041_dscn1913.jpg

70041_graham.jpg

It's the same bird, just different seasons and lighting.
I hate to say it, but that bird looks pretty ratty.
big_smile.png

Sebrights! This is another breed that I simply have to try out. They are gorgeous.

I have 2 hens and a mutt Roo (He's only about 6" tall and already crowing) that are bluish grey and have the lacing around the feathers. He also is henny-feathered and the man who sold them to me had Sebrights, years ago, soooo, I assume that these are mutt Sebrights from his original breeding. The hens are laying age, and super "Pet-ish" (one of the hens actually does the little bracing to be mounted every time I walk past her, so that I'll stop and rub her craw). LG, the lil Roo, is very tame and about a year old, now. He's about the size of a Mockingbird, with the hens about twice his size. I have a new phone, so I am going to post pics of all of my chickens, as soon as I get a day off while it's light out. This is one seriously teeny Roo. haha!

I want to try to get some that are as fancy as the Sebright Roos pictured, but with this bluish grey coloring. Lil LG, is a bit sloppy looking, with some white and brown around his shoulders, and not quite the upright tail as true-bred Sebrights. I'll post as soon as I can.

aggression is common with these tiny birds...then again a slightly aggressive bantam usually shows well in my experience...when they go into "you wanna pick a fight!" mode as soon as you put them into the show pen, they display themselves nicely. And they aren't flighty out of fear of their neighbor birds at show. If they are i don't keep them for the breeding pen- personality is inherited.

aggression is common with these tiny birds...then again a slightly aggressive bantam usually shows well in my experience...when they go into "you wanna pick a fight!" mode as soon as you put them into the show pen, they display themselves nicely. And they aren't flighty out of fear of their neighbor birds at show. If they are i don't keep them for the breeding pen- personality is inherited.
Agreed. The snarkyier, the better.

THE BEAST HIMSELF...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom