sebright thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenman98, May 23, 2010.

1. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Thanks. I think he will do well in the Spring shows.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Hate to be a downer today, but I lost one of my roosters to the cold. Don't know how or why. He was healthy and active as ever this week and I didn't notice any abnormal health issues. I guess the temperature was too much for him.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Sorry about the loss. These birds just can't handle the cold.[​IMG]

4. BinaryChicken

BinaryChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah. Sorry. [​IMG]

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

How cold was it? I've had Sebrights here in upstate NY handle temps of 25 below zero with no problems.

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. GuntherandInga

GuntherandInga Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I hate to say it, but that bird looks pretty ratty. [​IMG]

8. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Sebrights! This is another breed that I simply have to try out. They are gorgeous.

I have 2 hens and a mutt Roo (He's only about 6" tall and already crowing) that are bluish grey and have the lacing around the feathers. He also is henny-feathered and the man who sold them to me had Sebrights, years ago, soooo, I assume that these are mutt Sebrights from his original breeding. The hens are laying age, and super "Pet-ish" (one of the hens actually does the little bracing to be mounted every time I walk past her, so that I'll stop and rub her craw). LG, the lil Roo, is very tame and about a year old, now. He's about the size of a Mockingbird, with the hens about twice his size. I have a new phone, so I am going to post pics of all of my chickens, as soon as I get a day off while it's light out. This is one seriously teeny Roo. haha!

I want to try to get some that are as fancy as the Sebright Roos pictured, but with this bluish grey coloring. Lil LG, is a bit sloppy looking, with some white and brown around his shoulders, and not quite the upright tail as true-bred Sebrights. I'll post as soon as I can.

9. Silseb

Silseb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    aggression is common with these tiny birds...then again a slightly aggressive bantam usually shows well in my experience...when they go into "you wanna pick a fight!" mode as soon as you put them into the show pen, they display themselves nicely. And they aren't flighty out of fear of their neighbor birds at show. If they are i don't keep them for the breeding pen- personality is inherited.

10. GuntherandInga

GuntherandInga Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Agreed. The snarkyier, the better.

[​IMG]

THE BEAST HIMSELF... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by