sebright thread

Pics
Susan, do you have a Bantam Standard? You will find the most accurate and thorough description of earlobe color in there. You can get one from bantamclub.com

Thanks for the comments and clarifications. I wasn't really planning like to create a new species, just thought that a blue one would be pretty. I'm not a geneticist, nor much of a chicken raiser, really. I'm just having fun with my chickens. ;) I am planning to get a few silver and golden 'Brights, tho. I'll put various ones together, and see what they produce.

Yup, that lil hen has started laying, actually started back in the midsummer. She has started laying again, sporadically, the past few weeks, as well. I've gotten 11 eggs from her, in the past month.

I am almost afraid to ask...what's the can of worms? Did I step in the chicken poop, somehow? If so, I apologize...

Thanks for the comments and clarifications. I wasn't really planning like to create a new species, just thought that a blue one would be pretty. I'm not a geneticist, nor much of a chicken raiser, really. I'm just having fun with my chickens. ;) I am planning to get a few silver and golden 'Brights, tho. I'll put various ones together, and see what they produce.

Yup, that lil hen has started laying, actually started back in the midsummer. She has started laying again, sporadically, the past few weeks, as well. I've gotten 11 eggs from her, in the past month.

I am almost afraid to ask...what's the can of worms? Did I step in the chicken poop, somehow? If so, I apologize...

No need to apologize, meant nothing bad by it... My mistake of only putting OE and not OEGB, then the questions came! Haha ...which is not bad, that's what the site is for so it was just a joke:)

Yup, that lil hen has started laying, actually started back in the midsummer. She has started laying again, sporadically, the past few weeks, as well. I've gotten 11 eggs from her, in the past month.

Not a problem, and I can understand wanting to produce your own and make colors, nothing wrong with that.

By can of worms I just meant there is soooooo much information that goes along with what you're asking and it gets very complicated if we try to explain it thoroughly. Especially the genetics part... lol

Cool. I really like the look of those "blue" birds, and just about anyone that likes chickens has to admit that Sebrights are just beautiful. The first time that I saw a pic of one, I thought it was Photoshopped. They are just unreal looking. I simply have to put 'Brights and those blue hens together, and see what I get. I would love to have a yard of blue 'Brights.

Mine are not bad for the small size. I have found with them, laying ability is usually related to management. They are laying like crazy right now. but i do believe such small bodies need adequate time off in the fall, especially during and after the molt. Some strains are better than others. And extremely small show hens don't usually lay much.

Can anyone tell me which strains might be better layers? My daughter would really like to find some Silver Sebrights.

Back
Top Bottom