sebright thread

Pics
I'm glad I found this thread, I acquired two golden hens yesterday, as a result of a free ad on Craigslist. The guy had probably two dozen left, he said he just didn't want to deal with them any more. Unfortunately, they started coughing and sneezing as soon as I brought them in, so they're grounded in the brooder box until I figure out what all is wrong with them. So far, it seems to be coryza and maybe coccidiosis. Has anyone had to treat their birds for these? Do they do okay with treatment, or are they more fragile than large fowl? I hope they come out of it alright, they are adorable, even the sneezes are cute.

I'm glad I found this thread, I acquired two golden hens yesterday, as a result of a free ad on Craigslist. The guy had probably two dozen left, he said he just didn't want to deal with them any more. Unfortunately, they started coughing and sneezing as soon as I brought them in, so they're grounded in the brooder box until I figure out what all is wrong with them. So far, it seems to be coryza and maybe coccidiosis. Has anyone had to treat their birds for these? Do they do okay with treatment, or are they more fragile than large fowl? I hope they come out of it alright, they are adorable, even the sneezes are cute.

I see at least one single comb so not really a Sebright. Also coughing & sneezing isn't a symptom of Coccidiosis & it would be unusual for adult birds to acquire Cocci.

My love of Sebrights came from meeting my friend's tiny little silver hen. She's the broodiest hen my friend owns and even hatched and raised six guinea fowl for her; cutest picture ever is a tiny Sebright hen roosting and trying to stretch her wings wide enough to cover six guinea keets that are the same size as she is. Haha.

And so, I had two hatchery Gold Sebrights and was so excited to get them in the bantam mix I ordered (in the hopes of getting the Sebrights, of course. XD). They were very flighty, and both were pullets, and definitely not mean. I have an OEG pullet that's meaner than they were. Sadly, my girls, Agate and Pyrite, managed to fly out of their tractor one day when the top blew open in a mind-storm and my father's dog made prompt work of them. Quite sad, but getting a Silver cockerel and pullets from a local breeder sometime this month and going to do all I can to make sure that the chicken-killer can't strike again.

Here's pictures of my girls...The first is Pyrite the second is Agate; Agate had much nicer lacing than Pyrite had but they were my beautiful girls. RIP girls.

I see at least one single comb so not really a Sebright. Also coughing & sneezing isn't a symptom of Coccidiosis & it would be unusual for adult birds to acquire Cocci.

There is more than one thing going on with them, I stated in my post that I thought they had CORYZA in addition to cocci. Yes they are adults, but they have not been very well cared for. Hunched over, fluffed feathers, quiet demeanor, blood in diarrhea, added to the the coughing and sneezing, and other symptoms, there must be more than one thing going on. The single comb occurs in the breed, it is a disqualifying fault. Please refrain from judgemental comments, other than the single comb, she has the correct feathering, color, body type, and weight, however I cannot subject them to the handling it would require to get more detailed photos, at least in their stressed state. Really, I could care less how correct my birds are, I am just happy to have them. I'm getting the same vibe I got from the ameraucana thread when I didn't acquire my perfect bird from just quite the right breeder. On a more positive note, they have responded better than I hoped to treatment, if any one has any questions in regards to that, I will share what I am doing, hopefully it will help you.

Just wanted to through this out to you. I have been raising sebrights for some time and have found out them seem to get sick quite often. I have been using Tylan powder for anyone who is under the weather. It really seems to get them going really quick.

Thank you, I'll check that out tomorrow when the feed store is open. I have Sulmet on hand, I'm giving them a little lighter dose than the bottle recommends. They started scratching around and clucking a little yesterday, so they seem to be feeling a little better.

There is more than one thing going on with them, I stated in my post that I thought they had CORYZA in addition to cocci. Yes they are adults, but they have not been very well cared for. Hunched over, fluffed feathers, quiet demeanor, blood in diarrhea, added to the the coughing and sneezing, and other symptoms, there must be more than one thing going on. The single comb occurs in the breed, it is a disqualifying fault. Please refrain from judgemental comments, other than the single comb, she has the correct feathering, color, body type, and weight, however I cannot subject them to the handling it would require to get more detailed photos, at least in their stressed state. Really, I could care less how correct my birds are, I am just happy to have them. I'm getting the same vibe I got from the ameraucana thread when I didn't acquire my perfect bird from just quite the right breeder. On a more positive note, they have responded better than I hoped to treatment, if any one has any questions in regards to that, I will share what I am doing, hopefully it will help you.
honestly i reaally think that if you have a bird its cool, it dont matter if its quality or not they are your birds i have my sebrigth and i learned a couple of days ago that they are not show quality i dont care i love them i think they are perfect..

Back
Top Bottom