Second dead pullet, skinny, weak, what killed them?

malagabara

Chirping
May 15, 2018
Atlanta, Ga
I just buried my second Ayam Cemani pullet, which I got as a 12-week old pullet about a month ago.

Her sister died a week after I got her, I found her dead in the coop, her pose stroke me; she was contorted with her head and neck thrown back, her wings slightly opened and her legs stretched. The other one seemed weak so I brought her in and gave her some electrolytes, eggs with garlic and she was acting normal in a couple of days. A couple of days ago she relapsed, this time, I checked her and she had some mites around her vent. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the two one-year-old Bantams I adopted from the same breeder had mites too, but their behavior was normal. The Ayam pullet, however, was lethargic, puffed up, and with dropped wings. I brought her in again, treated for mites and fed her eggs with garlic, she ate.

That was two days ago, the mite treatment seem to work on all chickens but the pullet wasn't recovering. Today she was very still with her eyes closed, she was very skinny and wouldn't eat on her own, I hand fed her some eggs and electrolytes, but she just didn't make it, she agonized and died on my lap. It was so so sad. I didn't know what to do so I just tried to comfort her.

In her last moments, she did the same thing: she threw her neck back and stretched her legs. It seemed like a stroke or something. It may be a normal way to die for a chicken, I just have never seen it. I'm wondering if it's a clue, I'm trying to figure out what killed them. My other adult hens seem to be fine, not even mites (the new ones were not fully integrated yet) but I'm cleaning and treating for mites either way. I don't think that's what killed the pullets. Could it be coccidiosis? Mareks? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• 20200418_195654.jpg
    20200418_195654.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Hi there, sorry no one was able to respond, were you able to find out the cause of death?
Thank you. Not really, I suspect it was a coccidiosis relapse but I'm not really sure, I'm amateur at best. The mites are under control and the rest of the flock seems to be doing well, but now I have three grown Barnevelders and two tiny Bantams, not a lot of integration happening.

Back
Top Bottom