Second order from McMurray, DEAD

My 12 year old son asked me on the way to the post office where we would bury the ones that didn't make it. Sounds gross, but at least he was prepared. So far, they are all still alive. I have one that appears to be having seizures now though. She is smaller than the others, but stil hanging in there for now.

Aww...I hate to see that! Glad you prepared your son!
I have good luck when I add vitamin/electrolytes to the water right away. I think for some though, that they just weren't intended to make it and since they get shipped so quick out of necessity, that's why the customer sees so much of it.

Received my 27 chicks from McMurray Sunday. The post office called me Sunday afternoon and said I could come get them. All 27 chicks are so far healthy. There was another person there picking up her order, her previous order (from the week before with the long weekend) had had many fatalities. This was a shipping problem, she said she learned that she should have had them shipped to the main plant, and pick up there as she lives 45 minutes out of town. That is what she did this time and all of her chicks were alive. It appears McMurrary has made good on those orders that did not survive the traveling.
Sorry for your trauma, none of us like to deal with unnecessary death.
I will order from McMurray again when we need to...

This is a sticky situation. However, I imagine that the hatchery wants to make sure the babies make it. I would look at our postal system...... many things are being shipped later than normal. Cutbacks, and layoffs have sent the U.S. Postal Service into a world of hurt. I received an order of 15 eggs 2.5 weeks ago, 5 days from shipment to my home. One egg was cracked, and by day 7 of incubation, 11 of those eggs were duds. I know how much it sucks to lose orders of chicks, and I am not say that MM is in the right. It takes two to tango.

This is a sticky situation. However, I imagine that the hatchery wants to make sure the babies make it. I would look at our postal system...... many things are being shipped later than normal. Cutbacks, and layoffs have sent the U.S. Postal Service into a world of hurt. I received an order of 15 eggs 2.5 weeks ago, 5 days from shipment to my home. One egg was cracked, and by day 7 of incubation, 11 of those eggs were duds. I know how much it sucks to lose orders of chicks, and I am not say that MM is in the right. It takes two to tango.

Absolutely! I agree, I made many phone calls to find out the best way to handle this shipment. The people at the PO were really helpful in planning our shipment and pickup. The secretary at the PO gave me inside numbers to call. I realized that I needed the chicks to stay at the Main Plant, that was the key to the success of my shipment, I took 24 hours off the shipping time by picking them up at the main plant. Not everyone has that luxury, the main plant for us is only a 15 minute drive. Maybe educating those like myself that are new to this to check into the local postal carrier policies on live shipments would be valuable advice for those who chose to order from a hatchery out of area.

I ordered chicks to share with a local breeder. She breeds Dorkings and I wanted a couple of those and and some Partridge Rocks. The first order was delivered on Feb 14th because of the Holiday. With the ones that were dead at the post office and the ones that died over two days, we lost 15 out of 25.

I debated if we should get a refund or try to replace the ones we lost. We decided to get a replacement shipment and it came today. All but one of the eight Dorkings were dead at the Post Office. The one surviving chick might not make it. There were five Partridge Rocks in the order and they are still alive but one of them wants to die. It keeps wandering off from the heat light and I have not seen it drink water on it's own. My prediction is that two of the Partridge Rocks will Die.

I am making them drink water with Save a Chick in it every 30 min. or so. I did revive three of the Packing Roosters, but I expect two of the three of them to Die too.

Last February I bought a five pack of Black Australorps from Cackle. They shipped them on a Monday--none of this weird weekend stuff(weekends have weekend workers so not the regular guys and gals). They also sent them in a shorter box with straw on top as well as the sides. They also included a 72 hour heat pack. I don't see that McMurray offers this. They should have put a heat pack in the box, especially after the losses last week.

Tracking showed the box in San Francisco last night. So, they could have been left out in the cold in Minnesota or SF. And like others here I don't know if the problem is with McMurray or the Post Office. My take on it is don't get chicks from them if you live on the West Coast.

I will wait to see what the total dead chicks is and get a refund from McMurray. Customer Customer Service is great from them, but I can't take the dead Chicks
barnie.gif

I will stick with incubating my eggs from now on....

A friend & I split an order from McM. First shipment arrived 2/21. Several chicks were dead upon arrival. A total of 15 dead within a couple days. These chicks were split between 2 households, 3 different breeds. 7 died in my half, 8 died in his half.
I've raised lots of chicks and these did not seem to have any drive to eat or drink, they didn't behave like normal chicks.
McM said that it was due to the cold and did offer to replace any that died. The replacements arrived today, shipped over the weekend, no delays with the carrier. 7 dead so far, looks like maybe more won't make it.

I have never had this many chicks die like this. Something is wrong. This was not the fault of the post office. McM is going to reimburse us, so I give them credit for that. We think that they need to put something in with the chicks to keep them warm or don't ship when temps get so low.

Kim

I live in Reno, the chicks went through SF on Saturday, were in Reno Main Sunday a.m. The PO called about 12:30. I don't know, maybe it is a postal shipment route. There was not heat pack. I wonder why they do ship on Saturdays. I am sorry for your lose! I can't say I would try again with the shipping after your experience. So, far 24 + hours after getting them home they seem to be thriving. That day difference seems to be the issue.

Last edited:
How do you pick up shipments on Sunday? Is the main office open on Sunday?
I don't even know where the main office would be for us. Ron picked them up in Woodland.

Kim

the "safe" arrival of chicks relies upon 3 people
1: the hatchery
2: the PO
3: the buyer

all 3 of these things have to go right.they all have to think of the weather.
the hatchery has to take down an address-if you write ship to N Dakota and its Feb-just think a minute
the PO can take a little Care and realize they are living creatures
the Buyer can check the weather to and from and see if it will be OK.

wouldn't it be great for all,people and chickies,if the hatcheries could google the buyer address and the weather route would pop up.
but until then it is just best to wait till April.

Back
Top Bottom