Secondary euthanasia input

lemonrat

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
I have this 5 week old chick that's doing really terribly. She got wry neck, and was doing well in recovery until a few days ago, as she started declining rapidly in health. Shes...
-Regurgitated 3 times at this point
-very underweight (though we're getting it up)
-rolling around like a bowling ball
-barely breathing at some points (it usually returns to a regular pace)
-passing green stool
-often sleeping
-reluctant to eat/drink (but will)
she often fluctuates in how shes doing and has been holding on for quite some time.

we're feeding her a mix of egg yolks, Gatorade, a supplement with thiamine and selenium, and now apple cider vinegar for the regurgitation.
I think i should euthanize her, but i would like a second opinion. Also, if this is savable, please let me know how.

Not super experienced, but it sounds to me like that chick is having a miserable life. I think culling is the right choice.
i think so too, im just not sure how. ive seen so much conflicting information its crazy. sadly i cant do any "physical" methods as
a) im a minor
b) im very physically weak
c) i have nobody else who can do it.

i've heard dry ice can be good if you do it right, but it can also be painful and stressful. Carbon monoxide seems to be good too, but is very dangerous and apparently controversal.

Last edited:
There's so many ways, puling the neck apart (done right) is generally the most humane, though not the best for meat usage, which is not the case here.

Decapitation is also pretty quick.
haha, sorry- i just edited my reply cuz i submitted on accident.
i can't do any of those methods for varying reason, sadly.

i think so too, im just not sure how. ive seen so much conflicting information its crazy. sadly i cant do any "physical" methods as
a) im a minor

i've heard dry ice can be good if you do it right, but it can also be painful and stressful. Carbon monoxide seems to be good too, but is very dangerous and apparently controversal.
I don't know enough about caring for sick chicks to comment on what more you could do, but it sounds like it might be time to let her go.
Can you or a family member/friend get it done at a vet? There isn't really any other ways of doing it which are easier, or humane.
At five weeks old all it would take would be a sharp pair of scissors, but I completely understand if you don't feel up to it.
Sorry you are going though this :hugs

I have this 5 week old chick that's doing really terribly. She got wry neck, and was doing well in recovery until a few days ago, as she started declining rapidly in health. Shes...
-Regurgitated 3 times at this point
-very underweight (though we're getting it up)
-rolling around like a bowling ball
-barely breathing at some points (it usually returns to a regular pace)
-passing green stool
-often sleeping
-reluctant to eat/drink (but will)
she often fluctuates in how shes doing and has been holding on for quite some time.

we're feeding her a mix of egg yolks, Gatorade, a supplement with thiamine and selenium, and now apple cider vinegar for the regurgitation.
I think i should euthanize her, but i would like a second opinion. Also, if this is savable, please let me know how.

oh, i was! sorry if it was confusing. it was also in the powder mix including the thiamine and selenium.
Can you post photos of your chick?

She's regurgitating? So her crop is not emptying - is she pooping at all?

I'd cut out the ACV. Offer her wet chick starter to eat with bits of scrambled egg.
What is the vitamin powder mix you are giving? Photo of the product would be good.

Usually mixes do not contain sufficient amounts of vitamins to treat a neurological condition like Wry Neck. It's best to give individual vitamins in this case. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex is what you need to give.

She may be suffering from more than Wry Neck and just be failing to thrive. If she's in pain and needs to be put down, then a responsible Adult in the household needs to step up and take care of this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/

a) im a minor

Back
Top Bottom