See & critique my Speckled Sussexes! Add yours too. Pic Heavy.

damselfish

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Southwest Missouri
There were threads requesting Speckled Sussex pics last month, but I didn't have any good pics. Here they are now: my pretty pullet, the roo we're keeping, and his two hatchery brothers who are meeting their fate tomorrow.

I'd love to hear opinions on them, I tried to get good closeups of their feathering. These are from Estes and I will be trying to improve from here. I think they're nice-looking, but these are the first I've had, so I have little to compare to.

Particularly if someone thinks I've chosen the wrong roo, speak now! I think it's pretty obvious who the keeper is, though.

Please post your SS too, I'd love to see them.

dolly1001.jpg

Dolly, temporarily possessed by red-eye.

dolly2012.jpg

Dolly feather closeup 1

dolly3011.jpg

Dolly feather closeup 2

keeper3008.jpg

Keeper roo 1

keeper2009.jpg

Keeper roo 2

keeper1010.jpg

Keeper roo rear view

smallroo2003.jpg

Small roo 1

smallrooback002.jpg

Small roo back view

otherroo1007.jpg

Other roo 1

otherroo2006.jpg

Other roo 2

I think, based on what I've read & seen, that keeper roo is the nicest feathered. The other two just look muddled to me.

Dolly's speckling seems pretty nice and regular for a hatchery girl, but again, I have never seen any other SS except in pics.

All opinions welcomed, thanks for looking!
smile.png

Edited: Because I posted a wrong pic.

Last edited:
I admit I don't know much about sussex but I think they look great. Definately on my "someday" list.

Your birds are very pretty!! I don't know anything about the breed, so I can't help there. But I agree that the roo you are keeping looks the best.
I just bought 7 SS today.. I've wanted them for a while now, and I finally got my hands on some chicks
smile.png

Definitely one of my favorite breeds!

Thanks Rio and Randy. I didn't get any replies for a while so I had kind of given up on this thread. Rio, good luck with your SS, don't forget to post pics later, I'd love to do comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom