Seeing What Deer Netting Can Support in Heavy-Wet Snow

This how pen looked at end of day after snow fell through. Snow inside pen looked a good 4" shallower. I think because clumps falling in compressed that below.
20190112_144115.jpg

Glad you brought this up. I need to check mine before bed tonight too. It collapsed last winter, even pulled down the fence (that was obviously not seated into the ground well enough) I did quite a bit of work on it this spring, and we are just getting the heavy wet snow now.
Last year:
17E1410E-8192-44C1-9BE5-1A6EE504D846.jpeg

How well does it keep out deer? We'll have deer and elk and the current plan is 8' deer fencing around the vegetable garden.
I originally bought my deer fence to fence in my garden. The excess was used as the roof on my chicken run. I bought the 8' tall fence, buried one foot of it, and the 7' has been enough to keep out the deer.

Huh... interesting.

I have only ever used fishnet to cover my runs. Never held up!

There would always be a snow that would be wet enough that it would stick to the net and either pull down and tear the net, or mess up my fence.

I since have switched to concrete reinforcing wire. That holds up.

Huh... interesting.

I have only ever used fishnet to cover my runs. Never held up!

There would always be a snow that would be wet enough that it would stick to the net and either pull down and tear the net, or mess up my fence.

I since have switched to concrete reinforcing wire. That holds up.
How big are the squares? Can Hawks get through?

How big are the squares? Can Hawks get through?
Most of the free net around here is gill net with approximately 2x2 inch holes.

I first used the stronger net made of rope but that caught and held all of the snow in the world.

I then changed to net made from I think nylon. The plastic is very slick feeling and doesn't grab the snow. A very heavy wet snow will still stick to it. But I still use it over my less secure runs until the snow busts it down.

I once had a bald eagle not see that thinner plastic net and try to dive through it. He tore the net up some but got tangled up and caught and didn't kill anything.

Since then I added bits of surveyor's tape to the area still covered by net so the raptors can see the net better.

Back
Top Bottom