Seeking chicken harmony

sunnyshelmo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
I've raised a cream legbar from an egg, Jim is now just over 3 months old and has not had feathered company since early chickhood. At the weekend we introduced a POL black rock to her run (Spock). Most of the time things are ok, they are kind of keeping out of each other's way. This morning though I had to let them out at 5am because there was enough fuss and noise to wake me in the house. Spock wandered out quite happily and started pecking around but Jim stayed in the coop but was really upset, flappy, making 'sad' clucky noises and frantically trying to get out of the plexiglass window in the coop. How long do I leave it before stepping in? And what should I do if I have to? Could it be that raising her alone means she won't take to feathery company? It's really making me sad to see her so upset :(

Give them a bit more time. It can take chickens awhile to adjust to big changes, like in this example. I've raised a lone chick and introduced him to other chickens once he was 4 months old already and he did well. Their instincts are strong and they do love and prefer to hang out with other chickens in flocks or pairs. Just give them a little more time to get used to the new arrangement and each other.

Hi Sumi thanks for the reassurance, it's a bit like being a fretful parent! I'm pleased to report that things are a bit more cordial in the coop, Jim and Spock are a bit more relaxed in each others company. I also came home from work today to find my first egg! Clever girl Spock!

Back
Top Bottom