Seeking help with Muscovy girl.

no, I haven't given her oyster shell, should I?
If she is laying she needs calcium to make her eggs shell hard if she doesn't get it from feed or oyster shell she'll get it from her bones which isn't healthy. Even those who feed layer also put out oyster shell in a separate bowl for their layers.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I'll try the apple cider vinegar and see if our produce shop has some poultry vitamins.

Regarding the broodiness, is this something she will 'phase' out of? She did sit on 7 eggs before the drake left but nothing came of them and after about 4-5 weeks I removed them because she wasn't eating or drinking etc (I checked the eggs and they didn't appear fertilised). I hope that was the right thing to do, I'm feeling a little hopeless, I'm such a newbie and I adore these beautiful muscies and desperately hope I'm not harming them with kindness.

The bullying behaviour is actually coming from the other direction; SHE is being a bit picky and biting/mouthing their back and neck feathers, but she has stopped being aggressive towards other people so that's a development at least. I am still having to carry her out of the box and 'make' her eat and interact. Again, is this the right thing to do?

Sorry to be a pest but so many of you have such wonderful knowledge and I'm so grateful for your time and advice.
sad.png

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I'll try the apple cider vinegar and see if our produce shop has some poultry vitamins.

Regarding the broodiness, is this something she will 'phase' out of? She did sit on 7 eggs before the drake left but nothing came of them and after about 4-5 weeks I removed them because she wasn't eating or drinking etc (I checked the eggs and they didn't appear fertilised). I hope that was the right thing to do, I'm feeling a little hopeless, I'm such a newbie and I adore these beautiful muscies and desperately hope I'm not harming them with kindness.

The bullying behaviour is actually coming from the other direction; SHE is being a bit picky and biting/mouthing their back and neck feathers, but she has stopped being aggressive towards other people so that's a development at least. I am still having to carry her out of the box and 'make' her eat and interact. Again, is this the right thing to do?

Sorry to be a pest but so many of you have such wonderful knowledge and I'm so grateful for your time and advice.
sad.png
They do get over it very reluctantly I had 2 last year go broody and I didn't want any more duckling so I took their eggs daily it didn't matter they just kept sitting on nothing so after 35 days [you know it takes 35-37 days for scovy eggs to hatch] I said enough is enough while they were locked out of their house I tried a little experiment I changed out all the bedding, when I opened the door and lert them back in it was like humm this isn't our nest, and just like that they quit. I was amazed, so you might try that one. Will it work again i have no idea haven't had one go broody since we're still in winter. If she is being aggressive to the point of injury or over stressing you might want to place some temp fencing between them and let them get use to each other with out being able to touch. But they will have to work out a pecking order just like any other species. I'd dif get her out to eat and drink, they don't always know whats best for them. you are not being a pest.

I agree they do get over it, some are way worse than others.. i have had some i could have just killed.(not literately of coarse) but it got old because around here it's contagious ... one goes off everyone gets clucky.

The worst was the nesting in the horses barn? i mean c'mon? next was the barn cats box, he did not appreciate the ducky friend.

They do get over it very reluctantly I had 2 last year go broody and I didn't want any more duckling so I took their eggs daily it didn't matter they just kept sitting on nothing so after 35 days [you know it takes 35-37 days for scovy eggs to hatch] I said enough is enough while they were locked out of their house I tried a little experiment I changed out all the bedding, when I opened the door and lert them back in it was like humm this isn't our nest, and just like that they quit. I was amazed, so you might try that one. Will it work again i have no idea haven't had one go broody since we're still in winter. If she is being aggressive to the point of injury or over stressing you might want to place some temp fencing between them and let them get use to each other with out being able to touch. But they will have to work out a pecking order just like any other species. I'd dif get her out to eat and drink, they don't always know whats best for them. you are not being a pest. 0
Great idea, change the bedding. This might also help the territorial stuff regarding Jemima being bossy with Buzz and Tinkerbell (my kids named them!). My three ducks are in with my three chooks and I know the chooks won't care.

I've looked on the body language thread and I can't find definitions of it, but have heard people talk about their scovies head bobbing and tail wagging. Can you explain this? The drake does it often, but both the new ones do both actions regularly. :)

Last edited:
Great idea, change the bedding. This might also help the territorial stuff regarding Jemima being bossy with Buzz and Tinkerbell (my kids named them!). My three ducks are in with my three chooks and I know the chooks won't care.

I've looked on the body language thread and I can't find definitions of it, but have heard people talk about their scovies head bobbing and tail wagging. Can you explain this? The drake does it often, but both the new ones do both actions regularly. :)
Head bobbing and tail wagging can mean come hither in like mating is being thought about. They can also do it if the girls are wanting to start something with another girl, Mine have began mating already and I have seen the head bobbing quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, tail wagging daily. lol When I first let them all out in the morning it's like old home week everyone talking at once wagging their tails.

Yep, that arched back, fanned tail. Around here usually it's my females going off about something... i swear have such loud scovies lol of coarse then my buffs quack and i realize no, your not that loud lol.

One day i swear i will capture it on video...

Back
Top Bottom