Self Blue Banty Cochin-(New Pics, 8-16) It's Official, I think...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Aug 3, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I still didnt get a good hackle area shot, but Shadow is 10-11 weeks old now and these pics are better than previous ones I've had. Boy or girl?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Looks girlie to me..so does your GLW. [​IMG] Of course, I know nothing about these breeds, so time will tell.

Jody

3. speckledhen

Jody, all the Wyandottes I got this year have turned red really soon, but the feather patterns are female, so I think on those three, I'm safe. The GLW has nice lacing on the chest compared to the two SLWs I have. The barred, peacombed girl in the 3rd pic is Panda, my BR Zane's daughter with my Blue Ameraucana. Hope she lays green eggs!

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Girls... all pretty girls. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

[​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Oh good..someone confirmed my thoughts. TY! I am pretty sure boy cochin combs get much bigger than that by this age. I've never raised them, so wasn't 100% but now I feel better about guessing girls.

Cyn - that GLW is really pretty. I love the lacing on them..just beautiful. [​IMG]

Jody

7. speckledhen

Thanks, Jody, I think her lacing is very nice and what I like is that, instead of fading out on the chest, it's just as distinct there. I think she'll be a beauty when she grows up. Her name is Vada (pronounced VAY-duh) like in the movie "My Girl".
    Well, well, well, Shadow is a girl. Her bright red comb and stringy saddle area seemed just seemed boyish, but what confused me was that there are no wattles at all. I'd expect a cockerel to at least have some wattles going by now. Hmm, so rather than a little boy who'll get his own ladies, I have a pullet who will go broody at the drop of a hat, LOL. Good thing I gave her a unisex name!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Oh Cyn you stole my name. I was going to name one of my brown reds after my distant aunt Veda. Panda is a HOOT! I love that "what are you lookin at" photo. I agree with Jody, I think she is a she.

SO CUTE!

9. speckledhen

Well, if I can name one Alma, you can name one Veda/Vada, LOL. What do you know? I have a Cochin pullet. Figured my first foray into the "assorted straight run bantams" bin would give me a cockerel. Panda is a real clown, just as sweet as her mama and daddy, though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Well you would think so. The first time I got Bantams I got red pyle moderns and all 5 were boys, go figure. Of course you can name one of your girls Alma. I am saving that name for my very sweetest Brown red girl in memory of my litle BR sweetie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by