Self-Blue Cochin Bantams

Pics
Self-Blue hatch status.

3rd week. 9 fertile, 6 hatched, 3 Black or split, 3 Self-Blue.

2011 Self-Blue total = 4

4th week's eggs went in hatcher last night. I think there was about 15 eggs in this group. I didn't count.

I set 27 last week. I am averaging 4 eggs a day from 8 pullets so that's pretty good.

i think i may have the gray blue one but she doesn't have feather feet, she 4 months old i got a group of mix chick the rest our silkies and we aren't sure what she is i would show you a picture but i am not sure how to do it

Last edited:
Quote:
Awesome! If you wanna sneak an older split pair in the boxes your sending me this week I won't complain..lol
wink.png

Krystal

Quote:
the numbers aren't coming as quickly as I'd like, but as of last week I have 18 Self Blues out. The two previous weeks I had 1 SB Chick both weeks out of 11 and 13 respectively. Last week I had 5 hatch out of 19. This week there is about 25 eggs due to hatch. Pen 1 has produced a single self-blue, it's a cockerel with white feet. I expected incorrect leg/foot color from that pen because I am using the split male with white feet in that pen. Great type on that male, but incorrect leg color. All three females have yellow legs. In fact all of the females I am using have yellow legs. Pen 2 is producing the most Self-Blues. Of the 18, 15 are from that pen, and the other 2 are from Pen 3, and they hatched last week. All chicks thus far beside the pen1 cockerel have yellow legs. I'll get some pics taken and post ASAP.

They are coming along beautifully. I was lucky enough to see them in person last weekend
cool.png
while doing a little shopping. Tom is very critical of them which, of course, will benefit the variety but, considering the ratbirds he started with, I was pretty darned impressed. He's has the best of the blacks to cross with so, I would expect perfection in a couple more years if only the SB gene would act as it should.

That's so bizaar about the one pen not throwing SB. You read up on all this stuff and you expect the 50 or 25% the book tells you your going to get but, when that doesn't happen,
idunno.gif

Quote:
Interestingly, pen 1 hasn't hatched as well as the other two pens. I am breeding one male to 3 females. The eggs are marked as:
SB1A, SB1B, SB1C and I am tracking results that way.

Prior to last week, pen 1 and pen 3 hatch rates were not as good as I'd like. Last week, all three pens hatched well, so hopefully, this week will provide another good week of SB's.

I am shutting down hatching over the next couple weeks, and I am now breeding, the SB Male that you saw, to Pen 3 females, and the best yellow legged f3 split male to my f2 SB females. Just want to get some more numbers and also see if there is any difference in feather quality as adults. These two breedings should result in 50% SB's compared to 25% with split x split.

Back
Top Bottom