• We've raised SB/Lav Orpington for more than 5 years

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • We prefer the term Self Blue

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • We prefer the term Lavender

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • We are neutral on the terms SB/Lav

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • We like the color SB/Lav in Orpingtons!

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • We like the SB/Lav color in all poultry!

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
Well it has been a long while since I posted on here but the last post is not that far away.
goodpost.gif
I showed a few black splits last year as after the first summer show my self -blues were indeed too light in weight for a year of age. This year from my two largest split hens from 2013 hatch (they are now within 20% of SOP for weight) and one of the best of two cocks that I kept and one of my original self-blue hens I have hatched more splits and the next generation of self-blues.
celebrate.gif
I can't believe it I only have one self-blue cockerel
ep.gif
course I lost half of a hatch due to leaving my mother in charge of chicks while I was away for work. They are growing well. I took two pullets and a trio of black splits (too young) to the first summer show and they did very well for their age. The judge liked the self-blues more than the blacks
duc.gif
and they were the same age. I am taking two of the self-blues and two of the black pullets to some APA sanctioned shows this fall so people can see them and I can get more feed back. I have to look and see how old the next age group is, I may have one or two more to show at two Nov. shows.
I'll have to get some photos when the weather is cooperating. I'm really happy with the self-blues from my first hatch they are large and fluffy. Interestingly enough
idunno.gif
the ones with the self-blue feather quality (unhooked feathers???) are the larger birds and the smoother feathered ones are about a pound or so lighter.

I have pair of the AM breed would white beak and legs be a bad thing a cull or whatever I'm new to there and live but I want to make sure my pair is pure orps and why is they not have dark beak and legs. ?? Any help. Is it cause there American breed instead of English??

Back
Top Bottom