Self-Sufficient Homemade Recipes

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and washing soda is sodium carbonate. You might be able to use baking soda in your wash but you sure can't use washing soda in your baking.
sickbyc.gif

Now I have a BIG box of baking soda...mmmmm, what to do with it?

Litter box and carpet deodorizer. Half and half with powdered sugar as a pet-safe roach powder. Oven cleaner (apply paste made with water, let dry overnight, wipe off.) Emergency toothpaste. Antacid. Add to homemade garden spray for pests -- I think to discourage fungus. (Lots of recipes on the web, often using hot peppers, garlic, dishwashing soap, etc.)

Check the Arm and Hammer site.

BeeKissed I LOVE YOUR LAUNDRY SOAP!!!! My daughter and I tried it. It will be a must have in this house hold. LOL and maybe hers too.When shes old enough to leave home.

Ok you guys are amazing. I have learnt more in these last 22 pages then on my 26 yrs of experience. I have biggy. Roaches how doe you get rid of them. My sisters fiance moved in and brought the lil buggers to our house. Any ideas,.

I have a couple of home remedies.

My Grandmom (90) told me to put vinegar on bee or wasp stings to take the sting out. Only before it's scratched open. It works wonders on my boys, since my youngest was always trying to play with them. I think he learned his lesson.

She also told me to sprinkle ground cinnamon around to keep ants out. We put it around our doors and baseboards if they are trying to come in. It works really well.

Trying to find the ingrediants to make laundry soap. Hoping to get a friend to get them at Wal-Mart for me.

One other thing she told me. If you have some really rusty tools, soak them in vinegar and then take a wire brush to them. They come out like new. It also breaks up hard water buildup. Make a paste of vinegar and baking soda for an abrasive cleaner. Really scrubs it clean and deodorizes too!!

I just found this thread and am going to try many of the "recipes"!! Thank you guys so much!!
I would also like to share my "recipe" for Bisquik:

10 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/3 Cup Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tbs. Salt
2 Cups Shortening (Not Lard or Butter)
In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. With a Pastry blender, cut in shortening until
mixture resembles fine, coarse crumbs. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature.

How to use:
Milk Egg Mix Sugar Oven Time
Pancakes 1 1/3 cup 1 2 cups N/A N/A N/A
Biscuits 1/2 cup N/A 2 cups N/A 450 10-12 mins.
Muffins** 1 cup 1 3 cups 3 tbs. 400 20-25 Minutes
Waffles 1 1/4 cup 2 2 cups N/A N/A N/A
Banana Bread *N/A 2 2 cups 3/4 cup 350 55 minutes
Dumplings 2/3 cup N/A 2 cups N/A Boil 12-15 Minutes

** Add 1 cup of drained fruit or 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
*Add 1 cup ripe bananas and 1/4 cup oil

Quote:
Ammonia straight out of the bottle does the same thing (all I can buy is Parson's sudsing; works fine.) I keep a bottle of ammonia in the garden shed. Also works on fire ant stings, wasp stings, and Portugese Man-of-War stings, that I can vouch for, so I imagine it would work on any poisonous type sting.

Either Adolph's or ammonia work better if you gently rub it into the skin for a minute or two.

Reasoning is that the ammonia or enzyme in Adolph's dissolve the protein in the poison, or so I read somewhere.

We use a thick paste of baking soda and water for scorpion and wasp stings, and big ant bites (not sure what kind of ants they are, they look like they're wearing crash helmets!). Put it on a paper towel and wrap it around the sting or hold it there for a while, and it takes the pain away.

We use a thick paste of baking soda and water for scorpion and wasp stings, and big ant bites (not sure what kind of ants they are, they look like they're wearing crash helmets!). Put it on a paper towel and wrap it around the sting or hold it there for a while, and it takes the pain away.

I use ammonia or vinegar on stings or rashes and they work like a charm...and quickly. Almost immediate relief.

Back
Top Bottom