Sell chickens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Dixiedoodle, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Well. yesterday I pulled out the last four pullets that I would sell this year. They are 16 week old Ameraucanas that I have had since they were 3-4 weeks old.. My grandson (3yo) is spending the weekend w/ us --so he helped me cage them and rode w/ me as we were going to meet the buyer. On they way he was quite, which is not the norm.. Finally, he said "Grand, I am sad." I said "why?" He said "cause you said the little girls were mine and the big girls were yours and you are selling MY chickens and I don't like it..' We talked for the entire ride, both had tears --and finally agreed that we would sell them, save the money and buy some new babies in the spring of different breeds! And he could decide which ones.. When we arrived at the meeting place, I let him get out of the truck and she had her little son (8-ish). my grandson said " They are nice chickens. You have to be nice and easyyyyyy when you pick them up!" I let him put them from our crate and into her crate...

I handed him the money and he said "I thought we were gonna save it and buy more".. So we came home and put the money in his bank....for more chickens in the spring!

I never dreamed that he would be so effected by this..

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Sweet story![​IMG]

3. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    Aww! I had to part with my shaggy Buff Brahma roo 'cause he was mean and loud around his hens. Even though I have a scar from him biting me, and he's attacked two other people, I miss him, and I was in tears. [​IMG] I hope your grandson loves his babies when you buy 'em!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awww! So cute/sad! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

What makes "children" so enjoyable...is their "straight-forward, direct, HONESTY"....until they are "taught" by Adults that Honesty doesn't get the job done.....

a bit of a shame, I think.

"Junkmanme" [​IMG]
    some important person about 2000 years ago said something like: "You must become like little children." Perhaps he had something there. I dunno. Many say he was a Great Man...Many more say he was a GOD. I dunno. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    Quote:Love, Love, Love this! [​IMG]

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    That is sweet!

When we sold some hens, my 6 year old sister started to cry that she wanted to keep them, but after I explained to her that we can either have the mean hen or little fuzzy chicks (not enough room for both)she was as happy as could be and never missed the hens!

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Thanks everyone.. He said last night.. "Grand, I am glad we didn't sell my other chickens.. They are the sweetest ones of all" .He was sitting on the swing w/ three of 'HIS" chickens sitting on or near him.. Of the four we kept, two are no where near SOP.. BUT I kept them because they were sweet, friendly and will come to him to be held!! Who cares if they aren't prefect--they will lay beautiful blue eggs for Grand and be sweet cuddle bugs for the little one...

9. Chicken Rich86

Chicken Rich86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Yes kids love chickens. My two year old niece loves petting the chicks,collecting the eggs, and helping feed the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by