Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
This is the kind of stuff I want y’all to tell me. BYC is like an “insiders’ club,” where you learn about all the idiosyncrasies the hatcheries and breeders might not tell about a breed, or poultry in general.
Could you elaborate on these particular problems?View attachment 2034773
They can gorge themselves and become couch potatoes if given free access to food. So I have to make sure that they eat in moderation and do their duck things like swimming and running.

Ducks are bred to be what they are!
Never intended to be pets in a persons backyard. That being said each breeder has made them to serve a purpose and pet wasn't one of them. Ornamental Ducks Are easier..
it's a crap shoot on what you get. Just like duel purpose Chicks , they will either be great meat or laying hens? Depends on what line you get?

We the people who love ducks have made them what we want them to be whether it’s food, ornamental or back yard pets a lot of us keep ducks as pets and hatcheries are making big money on it. Domestic ducks have many purposes and being pets is one with the bonus of breakfast when we want it!

Have you considered muscovies ?
They do not quack , do not need a pond , can fly but don't always avoid predators (I lost some to coyotes). If they interbreed with any other breeds of ducks the babies are sterile so no possible breeding population of mixes. Just make sure you don't buy "mules" (crossbreeds) to start with. I bought several hens at an auction and they were marked Muscovy but when I released them from their crates they QUACKED !
Their eggs are delicious as well as their meat. The only duck not descended from a mallard.

My best pet ducks are my Muscovy ducks. They are very tame, easy to feed, never have leg problems, and usually live a long time. They lay a decent amount of eggs and are good broodies.

My runners and runner crosses are wild, they want nothing to do with me. Same with my call ducks, and all other quacking ducks,

When I go out to feed, it's always that Muscovies that I am tripping over, never the quackers.

That's true, but if you start with 4 muscovy ducks in spring, you will end up with 40 by fall.

Back
Top Bottom