Sell Me On A Duck Breed

Pics
I loved my muscovy ducks more than any of the others I had. Calm, cool and collected...and quiet! I feel like they are a little more "child friendly" due to their mating style, as well. Much more easy going on the girls :p They were in a pen with a 4' fence and one would fly out once in a great while. It was never a problem, though.

I first was eyeballing a runner, but several things I’ve read had me concerned about nervousness. Are they funny and sweet, but nervous?
It depends on how they interact and bond with you when they're very young. I've got some of my 11 that are more friendly than others and I've got one that follows me everywhere. The more time you can spend with them they better they will love you. My little girl that follows me also spends some time in my lap every night before bed while we talk about our day.

I loved my muscovy ducks more than any of the others I had. Calm, cool and collected...and quiet! I feel like they are a little more "child friendly" due to their mating style, as well. Much more easy going on the girls :p They were in a pen with a 4' fence and one would fly out once in a great while. It was never a problem, though.

Yeah, but I love how every muscovy fan conveniently forgot to mention that they have some of the sharpest claws and that they can fly on tree tops.

Yeah, but I love how every muscovy fan conveniently forgot to mention that they have some of the sharpest claws and that they can fly on tree tops.
Well...I'm not conveniently leaving anything out there. I had no issue with my ducks flying into trees or out of pens, except what I'd mentioned. I'm sure muscovy ducks differ quite a bit from place to place or country to country, in terms of their "wild ways". I'm also sure no one always experiences breeds of anything in the same exact manner ;)

here Bazilla Duck is giving me a "High Three" after successful bumble-foot treatment:
Aw, this picture is adorable. I can see the love! 😍
If you want real pet-ducks, you should ask around in your neighborhood and collect some fertile eggs and hatch them.
Yes, this thought crossed my mind, but/and....
  • even though I’ve successfully hatched bator chicks, I’m afraid I’m not familiar enough with ducks to spot problems during hatching. That’s just an excuse, I know.
  • there is a house not far from me with a yard full of mallard-looking ducks. I’ve wanted to stop there out of sheer curiosity, but (and this leads to yet another question), my chickens are NPIP certified, which leaves me not stopping at unknown places just on a whim. I will assume that ducks are/can be certified as well, :confused: but that is why I figured I’d be purchasing from a hatchery. Well, and the fact that I wanted all females of multiple breeds...the first go around anyway.
  • I really had wanted to hatch some of whichever breed suited us best after I let the girls (I hope I can call female ducks, “the girls,” like I do my chickens!) help raise a respectable drake. (Once again I am assuming here. Can drakes be rogue like cockerels?)
They are like kids that never grow up.
🤣 And that’s why I only want four! Even though the puppy dog ducks might aggravate me at times, my chickens do, this is what I’m wanting for my grandson. I know he will love these little ducks.

Back
Top Bottom