Separating an injured hen so she can grow all her plucked feathers back. Advice?

PoppySeedy

Chirping
May 14, 2021
Hello! I've decided im going to seperate one of my hens from the rest of the flock so she can grow her feathers back. Her bum and back are completely baked, I put a saddle on her to try and grow her back feathers back but I think the girls are still eating her blood feathers even with the coat on. She's recently been laying very soft eggs and everytime I go to collect the egg in hers has been squashed, I think she may be laying these due to stress or lack of calcium from the other girls bullying her away from treats. I know it may be risky to separate her since they may pick on her when she goes back in, but at least she'll have feathers then to protect her from the pecks! I've built a rabbit hutch with a small run attachment that im planning to keep her in, im putting it next to the girls run so they can still see her during the day so she won't feel too out of the flock. She'll have a seperate food, water, oyster shell and grit dish and get seperate treats. Is there anything I need to prepare for/know before I sperate her for the first night? I think this situation is pretty desperate as I don't want her to keep laying soft eggs with a risk of bounding- ill attach a picture later of the run when it's finished being built and in the position outside where I want it

Hello! I've decided im going to seperate one of my hens from the rest of the flock so she can grow her feathers back. Her bum and back are completely baked, I put a saddle on her to try and grow her back feathers back but I think the girls are still eating her blood feathers even with the coat on. She's recently been laying very soft eggs and everytime I go to collect the egg in hers has been squashed, I think she may be laying these due to stress or lack of calcium from the other girls bullying her away from treats. I know it may be risky to separate her since they may pick on her when she goes back in, but at least she'll have feathers then to protect her from the pecks! I've built a rabbit hutch with a small run attachment that im planning to keep her in, im putting it next to the girls run so they can still see her during the day so she won't feel too out of the flock. She'll have a seperate food, water, oyster shell and grit dish and get seperate treats. Is there anything I need to prepare for/know before I sperate her for the first night? I think this situation is pretty desperate as I don't want her to keep laying soft eggs with a risk of bounding- ill attach a picture later of the run when it's finished being built and in the position outside where I want it
Can you post pictures of your setup along with dimensions?
What, exactly, are you feeding the flock?
How many birds and what are their ages?
I would crate her inside the run with the others so that she is still "with" the flock. I would also offer all the birds a tin of sardines 3 or 4 times a week for additional animal protein. You make have an overcrowding, lack of enrichment, low protein feed or a combination of any or all that is causing the issue.

I think you have a good plan. However, you can add an extra feeder in the current pen. The pickers cant be in two places at the same time when they are feeding.
You can put Nu-Stock on the hens back and rear end. Once the others get a mouthful of Nu-Stock, they wont pick at her no more. If you decide to buy the Nu-Stock, wear disposable gloves when applying it. It's in the equine section at a feed store.
If you separate her, make sure you have a nest box near by with a fake egg in it. thnustock.jpg

I have a hen that has been loosing some back feathers due to pecking. Every few days I spray blu-cote on the exposed flesh which camouflages the skin. It's not a great solution, but it is too cold to separate her right now. (She's a barred rock)
There is a great article on this site that recommends isolating the damaged bird from the flock for a period of time for them to regain their confidence. I want to try this with my hen in the spring, if this is still a problem.
Also, it might help to make sure there are extra perches or areas for the birds to spread out. But, over the years, there always seems to be a hen at the bottom of the pecking order. They say a rooster helps to keep order, but mine is taking the winter off from all his duties right now.😟
Good luck with your hen. Let us know if your solution works.

Back
Top Bottom