Separating chick feed and layer feed

Dang it, i just bought a big bag of it :(
That is why I mentioned it being safe for everyone.
I had that problem - they only had a big bag in stock even though I knew I only needed a little bag - but I had no choice so I had to go with the big bag. I ended up feeding it to everyone for a couple of weeks just to use it up.

I think all-flock feed plus oyster shell is best for everyone all the time.
However, I cannot always get all-flock feed. In that case I either give the adults starter/grower (not medicated) or I give them layer feed.
Mine waste less if they have pellets rather than crumbles and again supply of all-flock pellets is not always reliable where I am.

This information is very much needed. In your opinion, should i stop giving them layer feed and switch to an all flock feed plus oyster shell?
That's up to you, to take the information given and make a decision that works for your flock and set up.

I would recommend all flock + oyster shell as the easiest way to manage a mixed age flock (though I myself don't follow that advice haha).

So layer feed isn’t good for laying hens is what i’m getting? and i should be feeding them an all flock food?
Layer was built to be the minimum (expense) feed for commercial chickens of the 60s, 70s, 80s under commercial management methods below which economic losses in birds, egg production (size and frequency) were not offset by savings in the cost of feed.

If you aren't raising 60s, 70s, 80s -type commercial layers (chances are almost 100% that you aren't), under commercial management methods (you aren't), with a sole interest in maximizing profit (you aren't), than the studies responsible for the "layer diet" don't exactly fit your needs. ...and even if you were doing all those things, the birds of today are far better than the birds of yesterday in terms of egg production (and therefore dietary needs) and the cost inputs have all changed.

Its useful science, and a good starting point. Not, in my view, a good place to stop after reading the word "layer" and concluding its a perfect solution for your situation. As some do, and the largely ignorant farm store employees often recommend.

I’m new to raising chickens, so i’m very very new to this, as everyone has been there. I went to the pet store and bought layer feed because well they are laying hens.
Exactly. They do well based on consumer reliance. Just like all those coop manufacturers that mostly make dog houses and rabbit hutches. They aren't in the business of educating, and have no significant incentive to improve their product.

Why not eat the the eggs for two weeks. This is the first I have read....I have bacon ready and waiting for our new eggs. I am confused.

No reason. At least, here in the US. The most common coccidiastat used in medicated feed here in the states is Amprolium, there is no withdrawal period for poultry. The commercial egg producers locally feed medicated feed the chicken's entire lives to keep the little coccidia under control in those battery hen operations, and have for decades.

Another case of "beware what you read on the Internet/see on YouTube". Just as you shouldn't accept my post without question - which is why I link sources.

You might find this survey to be a useful future reference.

I think what most people do is give the whole flock either an All-flock food or starter/grower food and then give supplemental calcium on the side in the form of oyster shell and crushed eggshells.
The babies can be weaned off medicated feed at that point, but you don't need to be too fussed - I had left-over medicated feed and the whole flock finished it up rather than waste it.
Is it okay for the older hens to have the medicated feed? I read somewhere that you aren’t supposed to eat the eggs for two weeks from the hens that had large quantities of medicated feed.

Back
Top Bottom