Separating chick feed and layer feed

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I have three laying hens that are on layer feed but i also have two 4 week old baby chicks. Right now the chicks are in a brooder in the coop so the older birds can get used to the chicks. But when the time comes, the chicks are going to grow out of the brooder they are in but will still need to be on chick feed until 18 weeks old. Right now i’m feeding the chicks the medicated feed by purina, and i know the older hens can not have that, so when the time comes how can i separate the feed or should i switch the chicks off of the medicated feed at a certain age? I’m new to having older hens and chicks together!

I think what most people do is give the whole flock either an All-flock food or starter/grower food and then give supplemental calcium on the side in the form of oyster shell and crushed eggshells.
The babies can be weaned off medicated feed at that point, but you don't need to be too fussed - I had left-over medicated feed and the whole flock finished it up rather than waste it.

Switch them all over to non-medicated grower when the time comes, but make sure there's plenty of oyster grit or crushed egg shell available for the big girls.

Medicated feed is to allow the chicks to develop a resistance to coccidia and should not be fed to adults. I know with the drops, it takes 3-4 weeks for this to happen. Not sure if it takes longer when it's feed-based, but it should have done its job by the time they're ready to integrate. Technically, they shouldn't be exposed by being taken outdoors while building the resistance either, but chicks do love a good run in the sun.

Make sure you have plenty of calcium grit on-hand. The layer's usage goes way up once it's no longer in their feed.

I think what most people do is give the whole flock either an All-flock food or starter/grower food and then give supplemental calcium on the side in the form of oyster shell and crushed eggshells.
The babies can be weaned off medicated feed at that point, but you don't need to be too fussed - I had left-over medicated feed and the whole flock finished it up rather than waste it.
Is it okay for the older hens to have the medicated feed? I read somewhere that you aren’t supposed to eat the eggs for two weeks from the hens that had large quantities of medicated feed.

Switch them all over to non-medicated grower when the time comes, but make sure there's plenty of oyster grit or crushed egg shell available for the big girls.

Medicated feed is to allow the chicks to develop a resistance to coccidia and should not be fed to adults. I know with the drops, it takes 3-4 weeks for this to happen. Not sure if it takes longer when it's feed-based, but it should have done its job by the time they're ready to integrate. Technically, they shouldn't be exposed by being taken outdoors while building the resistance either, but chicks do love a good run in the sun.

Make sure you have plenty of calcium grit on-hand. The layer's usage goes way up once it's no longer in their feed.
I have a handmade feeder that has the hens layer feed in it, should i make another one that is the non-medicated feed? Or could the chicks just have the regular layer feed when they get to be 18 weeks?

The perfect solution is
- chicks and hens eat non-medicated food that is NOT for layers (all-flock, or starter/grower) and hens get supplemental calcium on the side
- then, when the chicks start laying everyone gets layer food
I am just saying you don't need to be super paranoid about small bits of leftover. Medicated chick feed does not have dangerous medicine in it - it contains Amprolium which blocks thiamine in the coccidiosis bug - there is no issue eating eggs from hens that have eaten some of it.
I don't think it would be good to feed it long term to the hens, but if you had a week's worth of medicated food left over from the chicks I would certainly let everyone eat it rather than let it go to waste.
Similarly, if the chicks happen to eat a tiny bit of layer feed it won't kill them - long term it is not good for their kidneys - so I would remove it from the run until they are ready to lay.

I have a handmade feeder that has the hens layer feed in it, should i make another one that is the non-medicated feed? Or could the chicks just have the regular layer feed when they get to be 18 weeks?
I'd recommend a second feeder regardless... And waterer. It will help with integration so they cannot be bullied away from the feeder by your bigger girls. You won't be able to keep them from sharing food and the hens tend to prefer gorging on grower when given the chance. I don't know if this is just because it's different, but layer feed packs on the calcium, which is a bit much for growing chicks and can cause organ damage if consumed long-term while they're developing.

They won't get into the shell grit and the big girls will sort themselves out.

The perfect solution is
- chicks and hens eat non-medicated food that is NOT for layers (all-flock, or starter/grower) and hens get supplemental calcium on the side
- then, when the chicks start laying everyone gets layer food
I am just saying you don't need to be super paranoid about small bits of leftover. Medicated chick feed does not have dangerous medicine in it - it contains Amprolium which blocks thiamine in the coccidiosis bug - there is no issue eating eggs from hens that have eaten some of it.
I don't think it would be good to feed it long term to the hens, but if you had a week's worth of medicated food left over from the chicks I would certainly let everyone eat it rather than let it go to waste.
Similarly, if the chicks happen to eat a tiny bit of layer feed it won't kill them - long term it is not good for their kidneys - so I would remove it from the run until they are ready to lay.
At what age should i put the chicks on the non-medicated feed?

Back
Top Bottom