September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Looks like my chick is taking a shower...I'm confuzzled...the humidity has been around 25-30%

Looks like water droplets... do they move when you tilt the egg? Were these shipped eggs? Maybe its just air pockets? I'm confuzzled too, and would love to know! Also, how accurate is your hygrometer... any condensation anywhere else?

I am setting a mix of eggs today

Awesome!

I originally started with 15 Silver Grey Dorking eggs, but after day 9, I candled and 8 of them were clear/infertile. Today is day 11, and one of them doesn't look as large as the rest, but to be fair, some of them look farther along than they should. The lady I bought them from even mentioned that she had candled them and some of them were veining already. So possibly incubated by a mommy hen prior to me getting them. We'll see.
Temp has been approximately 99.6-100.2, humidity stays between 44%-55%.

This is my first time incubating turkey eggs.
I have 11 bronze eggs on day 9, when can you tell if they developing? I had to remove one because it's was leaking. A lot of them look clear. Thanks.

This is my first time incubating turkey eggs.
I have 11 bronze eggs on day 9, when can you tell if they developing? I had to remove one because it's was leaking. A lot of them look clear. Thanks.

You "should" be able to see blood vessels by day 7-10. The only turkey eggs I ever incubated had very thick shells and were speckled, which makes it more difficult, so until you are 100% sure they are clear, I'd leave them in (unless leaking as you mentioned, or stinking!) Good luck! And just a reminder if you use a flashlight, use fresh batteries!! Makes a huge difference.

Ha my chick hatched on Sept 1st that's too cool. There is a pip hole in one of the blue eggs.

Congrats!! It's so beautiful, I just love little fluffy butts!! Give me hope for mine

Just checking in. Yes I'm still around. I stuck 1 extra egg in the next day after setting.

I've just got my Welsummers hens back to laying and I just collected 5 eggs from them so I stuck a 6th one in.
If all these are to hatch it won't add too many genetics to my NN lines, but maybe it'll be enough to add a littke bit darker brown to them.

Last edited:
Looks like water droplets... do they move when you tilt the egg?  Were these shipped eggs?  Maybe its just air pockets?  I'm confuzzled too, and would love to know!  Also, how accurate is your hygrometer... any condensation anywhere else?

They do roll a little when I tilt a bit, like there's water drops in the air cell.
Yep, shipped serama eggs.
They seem like water drops on a window when they roll.
I'd also love to know! :)
Hygrometer was tested with a second in there & both read the same, so I used the tinier of the 2 to fit it in better.
Nope, no condensation anywhere else.

Day 19, 8 Silkie eggs in lockdown since yesterday. Finally got humidity under control at a steady 75% and temp is a consistent 100*. No pips yet, but I think I'm seeing some of the eggs quiver. This will be my first (successful) hatch ever and these last few days are dragging! When am I finally going to meet my little fuzzy butts?!

I have 12 eggs set on 8/24 due 9/13. They are from a red sex link rooster mixed with a silver laced wyandotte. Should be interesting to see what they look like. This is my first hatch from an incubater!

Ok: I just got word my boss is sending me to a training in the next town next week. Guess what day? DAY 21! @#$%@$!
somad.gif
I don't have a roommate and am single, and I don't know what to do with the tykes. I could take the incubator to work/school(same thing for me) and have a science teacher look after it, but that would require moving them on day 21 (tuesday), so probably not a good option. The other thing I thought of is leaving a spare key to a friend and setting up a webcam so I could check on them. Suggestions? (Maybe, since day 18 is Sat, I could set up the incubator in the science teacher's room on Friday and just call that "Lock Down", but I wouldn't be able to monitor the humidity. Hmmm..CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Stupid training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom